Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: pajama cardinal has a mouthful!

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24745

• tdo
  • Beyond Zoas
  • Thank you received: 9
so how difficult or time consuming is it to rear pj cardinal fry? i have a cardinal with a mouthful and was just curious if i should even try. it's certainly exciting to have fish do that in my tank.. these guys have been with me for almost 3 years, the last two from 4 that the wifey purchased because "they are so ugly" and have survived a 60 degree tank that killed almost everything off due to a heater sticking in the off position.

so it's a 40b with 20l sump. i say reef tank but its far from that, just a bunch of frags on rocks placed all around the tank at this point.

i currently have the 2 pj cardinals
2 black and white snowflake? clownfish
1 orange and white "birdshot" clownfish
1 yellow wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp
2 blue legged hermits
a rose bubble tip anemone that needs to split!
and a whole bunch of frags

i know i shouldnt have more than 2 clownfish in my tank, but they are all small and swimming together just fine, i have a new tank that has finished cycling just waiting for the black and white pair, just havent wanted to separate them yet until i get other fish in the tank first.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24746

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
The person that I know has some knowledge here on the forum about breeding Cardinal's is Mark, his name here on NAR is "Sullyfish". Mark is a great guy. Im sure there are others that have some knowledge here on the forum. I'm looking forward to hearing some more about this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sullyfish

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24748

• Juice
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 64
iFrizk.Spataro wrote:
The person that I know has some knowledge here on the forum about breeding Cardinal's is Mark, his name here on NAR is "Sullyfish". Mark is a great guy. Im sure there are others that have some knowledge here on the forum. I'm looking forward to hearing some more about this.
exactly what he said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sullyfish

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24753

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Thank you received: 145
You will need to move him to a separate tank where the larvae won't get killed/eaten, and start getting rotifers and greenwater, etc. They will hatch in about a week. Cardinals are relatively easy to raise, but obviously you'll need the foods ready if they are going to make it.

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24754

• tdo
  • Beyond Zoas
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks for the quick responses! Where would be a good place to get a rotifer culture from to start up?

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24756

• Boggers-Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 268
WestOholligan who sold some breeding clowns to Heisenberg wrote recently..
Raising rotifers is like dirt easy man. All it takes is a 5 gallon bucket, and airline and a good air pump. I ordered all of my stuff from Reed's Mariculture. www.apbreed.com Florida Aqua Farms sells some nice rotifer sieves as well. florida-aqua-farms.com
60G Cube

pajama cardinal has a mouthful! 4 years 7 months ago #24761

• sullyfish
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 23
My experience is with Banggai which are very easy but my understanding of PJ's is like what Jason said, still easy just separate the male and have rotifers ready for fry when hatched.

Rotifers are easy all you need is a 5g bucket and air stone. Just make sure and not to miss daily harvest/water changes since they multiply so rapidly. I missed a day and culture crashed. I also did not keep a backup culture in the fridge, newbie mistake # 2. When I kept rots I would have tons extra and would put some in my tank daily every morning when harvesting, and my corals never looked so good and had TONS of pods. It is great for the reef.

Here are some links that helped me.

Brine Shrimp Direct ( rotifer info & ordering )

www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Rotifers-101-c200.html

MOFIB forum for breeding PJ cardinals.

www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=167
Mark
180 mixed reef money pit
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by sullyfish.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds