Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do Clownfish do a mating dance?

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22121

• Nemo Fan
  • Beyond Zoas
  • Thank you received: 2
My son is convinced we're going to wake up one day and there are going to be hundreds of baby clownfish in our tank. He says "I see them dancing all the time MOM!" LOL I know, that's not going to happen, but is this weird twitch dance a mating thing?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Nemo Fan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22125

• Boggers-Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 268
clowns DO that after they get out of the juvenile stage and take a Male/Female role with the Female the larger one.
When they get ready to mate you will see them clean a spot on rocks and get VERY territorial of that spot. They can "dance" a year before they actually mate. Though Heisenberg may need to jump in as he has lots of breeding clowns.
60G Cube
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22127

• Heisenberg
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 40
Boggers wrote:
clowns DO that after they get out of the juvenile stage and take a Male/Female role with the Female the larger one.
When they get ready to mate you will see them clean a spot on rocks and get VERY territorial of that spot. They can "dance" a year before they actually mate. Though Heisenberg may need to jump in as he has lots of breeding clowns.

+1

They will do it to establish who is dominant.
Usually the males are the ones who do it to signify submission (though I have a 3 year old laying female who still dances at her male occasionally)

I've put small males with large females and immediately the male will start twitching due to her large size.

The male will start cleaning an area (sometimes months before they lay) and when the female is ready, she'll be very bloated looking and she will join him in cleaning.
The day of the spawn, you will notice the female has a little white tube coming out of the bottom of her and they will both bite the tips and edges of their anemone to get it to retract and deflate.
They will lay their eggs where the anemone WAS so that when they're done, the anemone will come back out and cover them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: danish.bhatti, Zoomer/Phil, Boggers-Mike, Nemo Fan

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22129

• Nemo Fan
  • Beyond Zoas
How cool!! Although, I suppose we'll see eggs and then one day they will hatch and disappear since we have a ton of other fish that will eat the babies. It's still neat to see they are "buddies" ;)

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22131

• Heisenberg
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 40
That is a great sign that they are dancing. They are pairing up for sure!
The eggs will be there for around 7 to 9 days.
They will hatch at night.

It's really fun watching the male take care of the eggs.

Do Clownfish do a mating dance? 4 years 10 months ago #22132

• Nemo Fan
  • Beyond Zoas
It's interesting because I've had the larger clown forever back when I just had a 29 BioCube and the little bugger would kill any other clown fish I'd try to pair with it. I quit trying to find it a friend. Then when we got the 93g, my sister gave me her two clowns she didn't want anymore because all they would do is host the power heads and sit at the back of her BioCube. I thought it wouldn't hurt to take them at least to help cycle the new tank. They have sort of hung out in different places, so I decided to keep them and see how they would get along with Grouchy when I moved her over from the BioCube. These are the only clowns Grouchy has ever let stay in her company. The smallest of the trio has gone off on it's own, but Grouchy and this other one hang out by the Rose. Only Grouchy goes inside the Rose though, the dancing guy just hangs out nearby. It will be interesting to see if they every produce eggs. My children will be excited to watch them tend to a nest also.
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds