Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 120 Gallon Reef

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 5 days ago #36848

• pely1975
  • Beyond cycling
So I am looking at beginning to get more stuff for the larger tank I am planning. I am going to do a 48"x24"x24" 120 Gallon setup in my living room. My question is should I look at Deep Blue, Marineland or others for the actual aquarium. if anyone has good or bad it would be helpful deciding which direction I want to go.

Thanks, Paul
Paul

37 Gal. Column
More to come
The administrator has disabled public write access.

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 5 days ago #36849

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
If you are looking rim-less it will change greatly, but with a rimmed tank not so much.
I do not like the standard overflows and like to use a smaller overflow box like the Ghost Overflow. If that does not matter to you, the cheap tanks work just fine.
60G Cube

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 5 days ago #36850

• pely1975
  • Beyond cycling
I live in a building that is pretty old and have to stay with glass tops as there is a tendency for strange material to fall from the ceiling....I already have the eshopps overflow for the tank so just looking at glass. I have heard a lot about deep blue scratching because it is temper d glass but not much else.
Paul

37 Gal. Column
More to come

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 4 days ago #36851

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
Deep Blue does seem to scratch a little easier and the silicone job varies a bit, but the price it right.
I like CAD and Red Sea but those are at the high end.
60G Cube

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 4 days ago #36852

• pely1975
  • Beyond cycling
I like the red sea tanks as well, but the stands aren't exactly what I am looking for. I may go custom built but haven't decided yet.
Paul

37 Gal. Column
More to come

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 3 days ago #36853

• westohooligan
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 19
pely1975 wrote:
I live in a building that is pretty old and have to stay with glass tops as there is a tendency for strange material to fall from the ceiling....I already have the eshopps overflow for the tank so just looking at glass. I have heard a lot about deep blue scratching because it is temper d glass but not much else.

Couple of things. That Eshopps overflow, it's the external one? If so, that is a disaster waiting to happen. It can and will fail. Drilling or the CPR overflow with the Aqua Lifter pump is a better option.

Secondly: Will your old building hold the weight of that tank? You're going to have some serious weight all focused into a small space.
A sense of passion is what first drives most hobbyists to raise these fishes... I believe that curiosity is a tremendous motivator, as is doing something that most people still think is impossible.
-Matthew L. Wittenrich

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 2 days ago #36854

• pely1975
  • Beyond cycling
The eshopps is actually drilled with 2 holes and then 3 plumbed pipes from the bottom, 2 main and 1 emergency. Building will hold the weight, mainly just particles of paint etc come from the ceiling that I definitely don't want in the tank.
Paul

37 Gal. Column
More to come

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 2 days ago #36855

• westohooligan
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 19
pely1975 wrote:
The eshopps is actually drilled with 2 holes and then 3 plumbed pipes from the bottom, 2 main and 1 emergency. Building will hold the weight, mainly just particles of paint etc come from the ceiling that I definitely don't want in the tank.

Oh nice. Those overflows are pretty solid. So really glass tops, maybe some acrylic tops, or a canopy is your issue then. Acrylic is pretty inexpensive, but tends to bow out after some time.
A sense of passion is what first drives most hobbyists to raise these fishes... I believe that curiosity is a tremendous motivator, as is doing something that most people still think is impossible.
-Matthew L. Wittenrich

120 Gallon Reef 2 months 2 days ago #36856

• pely1975
  • Beyond cycling
Yeah I have the Overflow on my 37 gallon and really like it, But I must admit you did get me thinking about the weight. and maybe 2 65 ish gallon tanks in different parts of the place might be cooler in the end :) Now if the wife will buy off on it is another story
Paul

37 Gal. Column
More to come
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds