Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 4 days ago #36107

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society
  • Thank you received: 48
Not too long ago I told everyone about a huge build that I was going to start upon. I purchased all of the equipment needed to have an SPS dominated tank with my large angelfish, tangs, anthias, yada yada yada. Well In the bottom of my heart I have always wanted to do a "AS TRUE TO REAL LIFE" tank as possible and do it with an Epaulette Shark. I have always been fascinated with watching documentaries on the Discovery Channel when they show them walking across the tops of the rocks and corals at low tide searching for a pool to slide into in search of inverts and food to eat. And with a growing son, who loves the touch tank at the zoo, I figured this could be a bigger winner than my current set up with Dory and Nemo. I want to do this right...I want to be able to mimic high and low tides and still have my Australian corals that would be native to that area....I would keep my tangs and my angelfish because they would be big enough to not get eaten by this shark, even though they are not known for this type of hunting. I guess what I am looking for is the push from my fellow reefers to see if they would be interested in following a build like this....I am currently in the talking with and getting numbers stage with Scott and Shane at NAS, but the more I think about it the more I want to do it. So, who would be interested in seeing a build like this and does anyone have any suggestions that they would like to offer that may have experience with something like this or sharks like this.
Gerrit

Regal Homes Drafting & Design
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 4 days ago #36108

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
Quite planning and make it so!
I have read about surge tanks, but never about someone doing high and low tide. You would essentially need a second tank that water gets pulled out of and back to tank similar to a light timer. Run this pump for 2 min at 8am, run second pump 2 min at 8pm (or something similar)
60G Cube

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 4 days ago #36109

• saltyfish
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
I would definitely be following this build. I haven't really seen anyone do a high/low tide tank.

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 4 days ago #36111

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Scott told me that I need to get ahold of Bill Wann as he has a valve that slowly opens and closes on a timer I'm guessing. So, what I am thinking is doing a false back wall and making it a full overflow from side to side and having some high overflow drains for high tide and then low overflow drains for low tide that would be on that valve that opens and shuts. It makes me cringe to mention it but I would probably start completely over on rock and corals...except for a few that I would keep...so that means some HOT HOT HOT coral colonies and frags might come available for an acceptable offer once/IF this happens. I figured you would be the first one to chime in on this Mike and give me the push...you always seem to do that.
Gerrit

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 3 days ago #36113

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
Bill is the king of gadgets, if there isn't something out there that can do what you dream of he is the kind of person that can figure it out and make it happen.
I am happy to encourage, especially on things that are different from the norm. We need to try new things!
60G Cube

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 3 days ago #36114

• tkspaints
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 55
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 3 days ago #36115

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Well, it looks like this build is going to happen. I have gotten permission from the better half to buy (2) - Epaulette Sharks...Male & Female. Now, the real planning begins and the search for a male and female pup begins. This does however mean that I will be breaking my own heart and selling off about 90 percent of my coral frags and colonies that I have in my system as if I am going to do this I am going to only have corals local to the Australian Coastal areas in this system as that is where these sharks are from. So, that means my Rainbow looms, my PC Rainbows, my Wolverines, My Oregon Torts, etc etc etc all will go. If you are interested in a spread sheet of what I have then please let me know and I will send you my prices list and these prices will be firm. Anyways, back to the build. At first this was going to be a simple "POND" style build....not really anymore...I will still have the priority of the build being a top down view BUT will have one 6' wide viewing panel installed to be able to look in and see under the rocks into the caves and pools that I will be creating. I have set a size as well it will be 10' L x 5' W x 3' D....putting this display at around 1100 gallons. Total system will be in the 1600+ gallon range. Scary thing is I pretty much have everything that I need to make this system already in my possession so now its the designing and planning phase.
Gerrit

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 2 days ago #36119

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Thank you received: 145
Not to be the Debbie Downer, but I'd really reconsider doing epaulettes with corals. They need very heavy, tight fitting lids or WILL end up on the floor/dead, which will cause lighting issues, and they will also destroy your corals.

As far as the tidal tank, I have some pictures I can find of someone who did a very nice job of this.

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 11 months 2 days ago #36121

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
No Debbie Downer...everyone has their opinion and experiences. Luckily enough I grew up with a father who was a biology teacher and was friends with Sean Putnam who runs the biology department at UNL. Or at least did, not sure if he does anymore....Sean has owned Epaulette Sharks since I was a kid and has given me a lot of solid advice on care, tank set up and such. In terms of the corals they wont be the showcase pieces in this build. Some simple tabling acros and stumpy acros here and there would be about it. And the tank will have a lid that I want to be able to latch down because I have a young son who likes to get into my current system and last thing I want is unsupervised hands in the tank. Lastly, I would love to see the pics you have, I have a general idea of my build that I want to do but looking for how to be able to successfully pull off the ability on doing the high and low tides and have them gradually raise and lower instead of drains opening all at once and all of the sudden the tank is 20" deep instead of 36", which is my goal for the change in water depth.
Gerrit

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 10 months 2 weeks ago #36147

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
So, I am more and more excited for this build by the day...having some snags on finding the sharks however. Hopefully something happens soon and they pop up. They are priority #1 for me and then everything else can follow in line.
Gerrit

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 10 months 1 day ago #36169

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
So, I haven't posted on this topic in a while...because honesty not a lot has happened to really talk about until recently. With a lot of help from Scott, at NAS, contacting Fiberglass companies for a possible shell to putting feelers out there in the search for a pair of epaulette Sharks. Well, late last week Thursday I was contacted and my Male Epaulette Shark has been found and possibly in Omaha by the end of the week. He is 16 inches long and is the coloration I wanted. Soooooo excited!!! I have also decided to do a plywood build on this tank as a lot of the fiberglass shell quotes were coming in at prices of a brand new glass aquarium or more. Debating sizes currently between 6' x 6' x 3' or 6' x 4' x 3'. Anyways, one step closer to this dream becoming a reality. I am also going to do surge buckets on this tank. Currently the plan is to convert a 32 gallon brute trash can into a surge bucket that will have 3 - 2 inch drains back to the tank. Hoping this post will spur on some convo.

This image is hidden for guests.

This message has an attachment image.

Gerrit

Last Edit: 10 months 1 day ago by Boggers-Mike.

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 10 months 1 day ago #36170

• tkspaints
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 55
Congratulations! Sounds like things are falling into place!

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 9 months 4 weeks ago #36191

• preuss@cox.net
  • Beyond cycling
  • Thank you received: 1
Shark and Reef say they have an Epaulette in stock. You can contact them and find out if it might be a female.

www.sharkandreef.com/epaulette-shark-hemiscyllium-ocellatum/

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 9 months 4 weeks ago #36193

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
thanks for the info. I have contacted a lot of online vendors about these sharks and a lot of them had them BUT they were either too big for what I wanted to start out with or they didn't ship. So, needless to say I am happy that Scott hooked me up.
Gerrit

New Challenge For Me - Need feedback from You 9 months 2 weeks ago #36301

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
SO, IM THINKING THAT I WANT TO TRY AND GROW OUT 3 OR 4 MANGROVES IN THIS BUILD AND LET THEM ROOT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK TO GIVE THE FISH SOMETHING TO SWIM IN AND OUT OF AND TO ADD A LITTLE COLOR OVER THE TANK. HAS ANYONE PLANTED THESE BEFORE IN THEIR TANK AND ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS THE EASIEST.
Gerrit

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds