Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cheap New Build From Old Stuff

Cheap New Build From Old Stuff 1 year 2 months ago #35818

• ajdavis4022
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 32
Let me tell you what this build is not. It is not a trophy. It doesn't look good. It won't raise amazing corals.

Here is what it is: cheap. I took a broken RapidLED light in which the white LEDs in the 3-LED pucks were broken and I soldered in new colored LEDs. I sleeved extension cables to leave the 2 drivers underneath the stand. The arm is a piece of 1-inch square aluminum tube forming an L to hold the light. The skimmer is a modified Coralife 65g skimmer with a modded intake venturi pulling air over a CO2 absorbing material meant for hospitals. The drain pipe was widened to allow for higher flow. There is a Phosban 150 reactor on it running on a little MJ600. There is 1 return pump, as the skimmer takes up the spot on the other side.

The tank and stand is a 28g JBJ nano tank I got for $100. The reactor was $20 and the skimmer was $35. The light I had, I paid $9.79 for the arm. The rest of the parts I had literally sitting around doing nothing. I sleeved the cables to the LED drivers to make everything on the arm black.

I don't know if the light will be enough power for the depth of the tank. I am planning on putting my few corals in there that I am trying to grow out. It might not work, and the tank may be too small for coral frags, but I thought I didn't have much to lose. I will post more detailed pictures later. We will see how a 28G grow out tank actually works. My hope is to filter the garbage out of it with a reactor for a 90g tank and a skimmer for a 65g tank.

Cheers.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.

29G BioCube Mixed Reef
28G NanoCube Frag Tank
DIY Lights
Man Up- Make it yourself :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cheap New Build From Old Stuff 1 year 2 months ago #35820

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
I would say you have a good grow-out setup. Cheap is certainly still effective in this hobby.
60G Cube

Cheap New Build From Old Stuff 1 year 2 months ago #35868

• ajdavis4022
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 32
Got the coral in there. Threw in old powerheads I had sitting around. Filtration is great. Growth looking good, but not great.

This image is hidden for guests.

This message has an attachment image.

29G BioCube Mixed Reef
28G NanoCube Frag Tank
DIY Lights
Man Up- Make it yourself :-)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ajdavis4022.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds