Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upcoming 600 gallon tank build

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33131

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
douh...lol

I went out of town this weekend and my ATO stopped working. Little cold but thankfully I have a AC 70 on my tank for emergency filter.
60G Cube
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33182

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society
  • Thank you received: 48
So, after many days of trying to lower my tank temp and constantly evaluating my tank inhabitants the only losses I had were to corals. Regrettably my Oregon tort, strawberry shortcake colony and tabling Acro colony were the ones lost...basically my 3 favorite and 3 most expensive coral colonies in my tank which I estimated losses of these at around $900. Stinks because these were going to be center pieces of my upcoming build. You live and you learn I suppose. Thankfully I'll have an apex to monitor my system from here on out
Gerrit

Regal Homes Drafting & Design

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 1 month ago #33860

• Boggers-Mike
I need an update Gerrit!
60G Cube

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34165

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
OK MIKE HERE IT IS...ALL CHANGES WILL BE TYPED BELOW THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT IDEAS AS THERE HAVE BEEN MANY CHANGES ON HERE.

Tank: Built by Miracles Aquarium
96 L x 48 W x 30 D = approx. 600 gallons
***NEW DIMENSIONS ARE 80 L X 48 W X 34 D AT WATER LINE...TANK IS ACTUALLY 36 INCHES TOP TO BOTTOM..IF I HAD TO REDO IT ALL OVER I WOULD HAVE MADE THE TANK THE ORIGINAL 96 L AND REDUCED THE WIDTH TO 36 INCHES

Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus 8000 Ext OR Bubble King Supermain 300...both about same price but SRO 8000 gives me up to 1200 gallons total system volume
***STILL RUNNING THE SRO 8000 EXT BUT WILL BE SELLING AND REPLACING WITH A BILL WANN SKIMMER HOPEFULLY SOON

Lighting:
EcoExotic Marine Pro 120 LEDs
DIY T5s in the front and back to cover the dead spaces where corals aren't really going to be
***WENT COMPLETELY METAL HALIDE 400W RADIUM BULBS AND DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL....EXCEPT THE HEAT

Dosing Pump:
GHL Profilux 2, 4 pump - will be dosing Mg, Ca, Alk, and coral food all from the AquaVitro line - LOVE THIS THING!!!

Wavemaker:
Ocean Motions Version 3 - I know a huge surprise as I am a big advocate of my Gyre Pump but will be using my Gyre in my Frag/Grow out tank
***THE USE MY OCEAN MOTIONS FOR VARRYING FLOW BUT NOW HAVE MY GYRES FOR MY WAVE ACTION. WAITING FOR THE GYRE 180 TO COME OUT TO REPLACE MY TWO 150'S I AM RUNNING WITH A COUPLE KORALIA PUMPS TO HELP

Return Pump:
Reeflo Gold Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid pump
***UPGRADED TO THE TIGER SHARK SO I GET A RETURN OF UP TO 8500 GALLONS PER HOUR. I USE THIS PUMP TO POWER ALL OF MY REACTORS AND SUCH SO IM GETTING PROBABLY ABOUT 7500 BACK TO THE TANK

Heater:
Super Reef Octopus Titanium heaters - STILL USING THEM

Rockwork:
Real Reef Rock brand rock and then I will seed/cure this rock with my current LR from my tank....have never had any parasites/disease or anything I didn't want in my current tank so I am going to reuse this rock currently about 100 pounds of it in my system including Sump/Refugium
***AFTER MY OLD SYSTEM CRASHED I HAD TO QUARANTINE ALL OF MY FISH/INVERTS/ROCK ELSEWHERE AND THEY CAME BACK WITH SOME UNDESIREABLES THAT I DIDNT HAVE IN MY SYSTEM BEFORE SO ALL THE ROCK WAS LEFT OUTSIDE TO DRY AND KILL THE UNDESIREABLES EXCEPT TWO WHICH WERE ENCRUSTED WITH CORALS OF MINE. I DIPPED THOSE ROCKS AND WENT OVER THEM WITH A FINE TOOTHED COMB TO REMOVE WHATEVER I COULD FIND AND HAVE HAD NOTHING POP UP YET. THE OLD ROCK WAS COOKED AGAIN AFTER DRYING COMPLETELY FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND HAS SINCE BEEN READDED BACK TO THE TANK.

Refugium:
50 gallon glass tank from Petco that will be half Cheato and half LR- I AM STILL USING THIS AND HAVE CHEATO COMING OUT MY EARS

Sump:
Custom built by me....basically found all the features I wanted in other custom made sumps and will be applying them in mine...undecided dimensions yet but I want it to be around 200 gallons in the sump. - ENDED UP USING AN OLD 180 GALLON TANK AND INSTALLED BAFFLES AND EVERYTHING MYSELF...COULDNT BE HAPPIER AT THE MOMENT

System Tank:
300 Gallon RotoMolded tank. - 300 WAS A BIT EXTREME I EVENTUALLY FIGURED SO I SETTLED ON A 200 GALLON TANK

Control System:
Apex Gold with Lab Grade Probes, Leak Detection, Breakout Box etc - LOVE THIS SYSTEM...ADDING THE SENEYE BRAND AS A BACK UP AND WILL BE ADDING THE FLOW MONITORING DEVICES ONCE THEY HIT THE MARKET

QT Tank:
Will be my old 40 gallon breeder - MOVED UP TO A 125 GALLON QT AND STILL USING THE 40 GALLON FOR OTHER THINGS

Frag/Growout Tank:
Custom built by me out of acrylic dimensions are 48 L x 24 W x 20 D - will be using my Gyre 150 for this tank - IS AS STATED BUT USING KORALIA PUMPS AS MY GYRES ARE CURRENTLY IN MY DT

THE PLAN FOR THE SYSTEM IS TO LET THE DT REMAIN EMPTY FOR 7 MONTHS, WITH ONLY LR AND SAND AND LET THE AMPHIPODS/COPEPODS NUMBERS GROW AND BRACTERIA CYCLE PROPERLY. AFTER 7 MONTHS I WILL THEN ADD CORALS/ANEMONES/ZOANTHIDS/ ETC TO THE TANK AND LET THEM ALL GROW AND ESTABLISH FOR 4 MORE MONTHS. THEN AFTER THE 11 MONTHS I WILL ADD THE FISH TO THE SYSTEM. MY 125 IS GETTING FULL NOW WITH ALL MY FISH SO WE WILL SEE IF I CAN HOLD OFF THAT LONG BUT THIS IS MY PLAN SO FAR. BELOW IS A LIST OF MY FISH I CURRENTLY HAVE IN MY 125:

1-YELLOW TANG
1-BLUE SPOT JAWFISH
1-DRACULA GOBY/CANDY CANE PISTOL SHRIMP (DRACULA GOBY IS CURRENTLY IN TRANSIT THANKS TO NAS)
2-BLACK OSCELLARIS MISBAR CLOWNFISH MATCHED PAIR
1-LIGHTNING MAROON CLOWNFISH....WILL BE ADDING A SECOND
1-RED MALE ANTHIAS...SWORE I WOULD NEVER HAVE ANTHIAS BUT HE WAS TOO PRETTY TO SAY NO
2-FLAME ANGEL
1-6 LINE WRASSE
1-GREEN MANDARIN (FEMALE)
1-RED MANDARIN (MALE)
2-ULTRA BLUE DAMSELS MATCHED PAIR
1-POTTERS ANGEL

SOON TO BE ADDED.....1-AUSTRALIAN HARLEQUIN TUSK, 1-SAILFIN TANG, 1-ZEBRA EEL, 1-LEOPARD WRASSE...AND THEN SOME OTHERS ONCE THE SYSTEM IS READY

***NO PICTURES CURRENTLY OF THE BIG BOY AS IT IS FIGHTING SEVERE CASES OF DINOFLAGELLATES OFF AND ON AND AM DOSING WITH KALKWASSER THROUGH AN MRC NILSEN REACTOR. BUT HAVE SOME PICTURES OF EVERYONE IN THE 125 WHICH I HAVE POSTED IN CURRENT POSTS
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34166

• Boggers-Mike
now that is a bit of an update sir, thank you!

How are you going to introduce the fish into the display? wonder how the clowns will do. I know they will have the space but you never know.

I can't imagine attempting to grab a coral that falls dead center in the middle of the sandbed.
60G Cube

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34167

• Boggers-Mike
now that is a bit of an update sir, thank you!

How are you going to introduce the fish into the display? wonder how the clowns will do. I know they will have the space but you never know.

I can't imagine attempting to grab a coral that falls dead center in the middle of the sandbed.
60G Cube

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34168

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
MIKE,
I WILL INTRODUCE THEM FROM THE SMALLEST AND MOST PEACEFUL/SHY FISH FIRST TO THE LARGEST MOST AGGRESSIVE LAST. THIS WILL GIVE THE SMALLER FISH AN ABILITY TO STAKE OUT A TERRITORY IN THE TANK AND FIND ALL OF THE HIDING PLACES PRIOR TO ADDING THE FISH THAT COULD CHASE THEM AROUND. IN TERMS OF THE CLOWNFISH I AM HOPING WITH THE SHEER WATER VOLUME SIZE OF THE TANK THAT I WILL NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES. HOWEVER, MY CURRENT BLACK MISBAR BREEDING PAIR HAS GOTTEN QUITE AGGRESSIVE RECENTLY WITH HAVING A NEW CLUTCH SO JUST CROSSING FINGERS THAT THEY WILL HOST ON OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE TANK AS I WILL BE SPACING MY ANEMONES OUT ON EACH END IN THE HOPE THAT THEY WILL STAY LOCATED AND THE CLOWNFISH WILL HOST THEM. LASTLY THAT IS WHY I SAID IF I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN I WOULD HAVE ONLY MADE THE TANK 3' DEEP INSTEAD OF 4 FEET BECAUSE JUST PLACING THE ROCK IN THE TANK WAS A PAIN ENOUGH LET ALONE TRYING TO PLACE CORALS IN THE NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34169

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Wow, what an update!

So the tank is running? When the times right, it will be neat to see a picture of set up :)

I've never seen a Dracula Goby in person, but they always catch my eye when I'm thumbing through Scott Michaels book - nice pick :side:
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 11 months ago #34172

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
PHIL,
YES THE TANK IS RUNNING NOW AND HAS BEEN FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AS WE MOVED EARLIER THAN EXPECTED DUE TO SOME UNPREDICTABLE FACTORS. WHEN ALL IS IN AN ACCEPTABLE STATE FOR ME TO SHOW PICS I WILL HAPPILY SHARE THEM. BUT WITH THIS DINOFLAGELLATES ISSUE THAT I CONTINUE TO HAVE IT WILL BE HARD TO PREDICT WHEN AS I THOUGHT I HAD IT UNDER CONTROL A MONTH AGO AND CAME BACK WITH A VENGEANCE ABOUT A WEEK AGO. AND THE DRACULA GOBY WAS ONE OF MY "HAD TO HAVE" FISH AND SEARCHED EAGERLY TO FIND ONE WITH THE HELP OF ALL THE LOCAL FISH STORES. SO I THANK ALL OF THEM FOR THEIR PATIENCE.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 6 months ago #35586

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
SO, FOR ALL THAT HAVE NOT HEARD I HAVE HAD SOME MAJOR CHANGES IN THIS BUILD AND REALLY IN THE LIFE OF ME BEING A REEF OWNER IN THE LAST 3 WEEKS. OVER THE LAST 3 WEEKS I HAVE HAD ALL OF MY FISH PASS FROM AN UNKNOWN PARASITE THAT WAS VERY AGGRESSIVE (YES ALL 25 FISH DEAD). AFTER FINDING OUT THAT MY WANTS TO QT AND TREAT THE UNKNOWN ASSAILANT WERE FRUITLESS THE NEXT WEEK I HAD TO ONCE AGAIN TREAT MY TANK FOR RED BUGS AFTER BUYING A PURPLE GARF BONSAI FRAG FROM A LOCAL LFS, DONT WANT TO NAME THE LFS FOR PROFESSIONAL REASONS, I KNOW THIS FRAG WAS THE CULPRIT BECAUSE AFTER THE LAST TREATMENT OF INTERCEPTOR THERE WERE NO SIGNS OR BUGS AND TRUST ME I LOOKED EVERY DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY. LASTLY THE 600 GALLON TANK HAS BEEN SOLD TO A BUYER FROM KEARNEY, NE. AFTER STARTING A BUSINESS, BECAME OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED LAST FRIDAY, AND SEEING THE BILLS (ALSO WAS NO LONGER HAPPY WITH THE DEEP DEPTH OF THE TANK) I DECIDED TO SELL THE TANK AND MOVE ALONG CLEARING THE ROOM FOR A CURRENT DIY BUILD PREPARING FOR MY FUTURE TANK. SO, ALL IN ALL IN A NUT SHELL THESE LAST THREE WEEKS HAVE BEEN AN ABSOLUTE BLUR!!!! NO OTHER WAYS TO SAY IT
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 1 year 6 months ago #35589

• Andy Roker
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Be thankful for tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 82
Man that sucks I'm sorry to hear I hope things start looking up for you
180 reef mostly lps
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds