Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upcoming 600 gallon tank build

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33012

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society
  • Thank you received: 48
So, I have spoken of this tank in the past and now that I am getting closer and closer to setting up I figured now is time to start my build thread. Below is my list of equipment and tank specs....please feel free to comment or give suggestions on equipment and such.

Tank: Built by Miracles Aquarium
96 L x 48 W x 30 D = approx. 600 gallons

Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus 8000 Ext OR Bubble King Supermain 300...both about same price but SRO 8000 gives me up to 1200 gallons total system volume

Lighting:
EcoExotic Marine Pro 120 LEDs
DIY T5s in the front and back to cover the dead spaces where corals aren't really going to be

Dosing Pump:
GHL Profilux 2, 4 pump - will be dosing Mg, Ca, Alk, and coral food all from the AquaVitro line

Wavemaker:
Ocean Motions Version 3 - I know a huge surprise as I am a big advocate of my Gyre Pump but will be using my Gyre in my Frag/Grow out tank

Return Pump:
Reeflo Gold Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid pump

Heater:
Super Reef Octopus Titanium heaters

Rockwork:
Real Reef Rock brand rock and then I will seed/cure this rock with my current LR from my tank....have never had any parasites/disease or anything I didn't want in my current tank so I am going to reuse this rock currently about 100 pounds of it in my system including Sump/Refugium

Refugium:
50 gallon glass tank from Petco that will be half Cheato and half LR

Sump:
Custom built by me....basically found all the features I wanted in other custom made sumps and will be applying them in mine...undecided dimensions yet but I want it to be around 200 gallons in the sump.

System Tank:
300 Gallon RotoMolded tank.

Control System:
Apex Gold with Lab Grade Probes, Leak Detection, Breakout Box etc

QT Tank:
Will be my old 40 gallon breeder

Frag/Growout Tank:
Custom built by me out of acrylic dimensions are 48 L x 24 W x 20 D - will be using my Gyre 150 for this tank

And there is a lot more information that I will be adding for this build as the time comes so do not be afraid to ask questions. This build is still months out but I have been anxious to start this thread so here it is.
Gerrit

Regal Homes Drafting & Design
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfie2012, Boggers-Mike

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33013

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
General question, what steared you to real reef rock? Not one for me, so wanted to know your thoughts.
60G Cube

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33021

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
Looking forward to watching this build thread, looks like you have a great start.

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33022

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
How many EcoExotic Marine Pros are you going to run over this setup? Also you said this build is still months out but do you have any idea on a time frame.

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33027

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Mike,
The reason why I am leaning this way is because of the fact that the rock is lighter than rock of comparable size. Was originally just going to go with Marco but after several conversations with Mark Callahan and comparing the samples of Reef Rock to Marco the quality of the product I believe is worth it.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33028

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
iFrizk.Spataro wrote:
Looking forward to watching this build thread, looks like you have a great start.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been thinking about this build for 9 months now and have probably changed the equipment on it at least 5 times. In terms of the number of EcoExotic lights I have spoken with Ike, of EcoExotic, and he said I could get away with 4 but suggested 6 so I'm going to go with the 6 and put it on a RexRoth canopy system that will allow me to slide them side to side to get them where I want them above my tank.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33029

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
And to answer the last question on build time we are planning the move in the beginning of September so I would imagine October or end of September you'll see this build thread take off.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33031

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Thank you received: 145
GSchuurms wrote:
iFrizk.Spataro wrote:

Thanks for the compliment. I have been thinking about this build for 9 months now and have probably changed the equipment on it at least 5 times. In terms of the number of EcoExotic lights I have spoken with Ike, of EcoExotic, and he said I could get away with 4 but suggested 6 so I'm going to go with the 6 and put it on a RexRoth canopy system that will allow me to slide them side to side to get them where I want them above my tank.

I have nothing good to say about Ike or his products. The zoo invested about 12K in ecoxotic lights when we did the renovations, and his estimates on output were horribly wrong. No way 4 lights would handle a tank with that footprint, IME. He generally just paid lip service and probably flat out lied on a couple instances. Not a fan, if you can't tell.

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33032

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Jason,
That sucks to hear that as the reviews I read on the lights online were top notch and Ike seemed very helpful. Being that you have experience, through the zoo, do you believe these lights would be able to cover my tank with 6 of them like I plan to run or would you suggest another brand? Trying to steer away from the radions and try a new LED that no one already seems to have. Thankfully I posted this build this early to be able to make these changes based on experience of other reefers
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33034

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Thank you received: 145
GSchuurms wrote:
Jason,
That sucks to hear that as the reviews I read on the lights online were top notch and Ike seemed very helpful. Being that you have experience, through the zoo, do you believe these lights would be able to cover my tank with 6 of them like I plan to run or would you suggest another brand? Trying to steer away from the radions and try a new LED that no one already seems to have. Thankfully I posted this build this early to be able to make these changes based on experience of other reefers

50W? 100W? 120W? Probably 6 would do it. I saw a bigger tank awhile back w/6 100W, and they were pretty spot-lighty, so I didn't care for the look. I'm sure some people like them, but I (and Mitch) just wanted to throw them in the trash. Maybe the newer lights have more control options, but the dimmer Ike supplied us cut the output by 50% at full power. They were actully removed off a FO exhibit for being too dim, and replaced w/MH.

Never tried them on a bigger tank, but I had good luck with Rapid LED stuff. A doubled-up Aurora puck is basically a radion clone, minus some of the fluff options, at half the cost. And they are apex friendly. Your tank isn't very deep, and I don't know what you plan on keeping or how densely stocked, so those are obviously factors to keep in mind.

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33035

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Jason,
I plan on running the 120W Marine Pros, which are new from what I was told, as they have a Multi-Color adjustable chip instead of the standard blue/white of the Cannon Pros. I plan on running a heavily stocked SPS tank with clams, zoanthids, and some LPS. In terms of fish I am hoping to have several schools of different species of smaller fish and some singular larger fish....Australian Harlequin Tusk, Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, maybe some larger Angels, etc. So, looking for some strong lighting for the heavy stocked SPS.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33040

• Zoomer/Phil
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
While I don't have experience lighting that large of a system, I think that six lights might not offer enough spread like Jason said. Perhaps I'm too picky, but I had two Radions over a standard 120 and was disappointed in that spread. As that SPS grows and takes up area, that spot lighting and shadowing will really be evident and limit placement options for other corals to be added (due to being shaded out). That being said, you can always add more lights later, but just wanted to offer my perspective on the number of lights as it relates to shadowing.

What ever you go with, make sure it is going to work for you first and foremost, then hopefully the price lines up with the budget. You'll surely end up spending more money in the long run if you invest in a product that doesn't provide the function for your monstrous system...
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33041

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
Phil,
Yeah that is one thing that does worry me as I am currently considering buying some more lights for my current system as my reef radiance LEDs aren't hitting all the angles and some SPS is dying off in some less lit areas
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33128

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
So, update on things as we go. My current 40B has a HUGE breakdown over the weekend where the AquaTop heater has broken over time and for some reason decided to basically boil my entire tank all weekend. Lost my strawberry shortcake colony, and a larger tabling Aussie colony; as well as, harming my other corals. Thankfully the majority of them look healthy enough to recover but in time. The heater raised my tank temp from 77 degress on Wednesday of last week to 91 degrees when I came home Saturday evening. Also, I think my better half didn't think I was very serious about this build and asked me about it today after a reefer she works with dropped that bombshell on her....thanks Salty lol. This build as stated is several months out from starting and will be pieced together as I go so stay tuned on its progress. I have several of the pieces of equipment currently and kinda building the system backwards as moving takes priority first and this system will take time as my family takes priority over hobby.
Gerrit

Upcoming 600 gallon tank build 2 years 5 months ago #33130

• Zoomer/Phil
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
GSchuurms wrote:
Also, I think my better half didn't think I was very serious about this build and asked me about it today

I hate it when I think I have the implied green light, then a few week's in and then there's a critical "follow up" question... :kiss: :pinch:
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Zoomer/Phil.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds