Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Shallow Reef Build

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33059

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
westohooligan wrote:
A step further how?
What I mean is a good portion of builds I've seen, people don't go the extra step after painting whatever it is to coat it with Polyurethane, Varnish, Shellac, Lacquer or Spar in my case. I went with Spar for the water proofing factor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33064

• brubakron
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 15
I am excited to check out his build, and will be following along. I will be interested to hear what you notice with a shallow tank compared to the 30 inch deep tank.
265 dt, 75 fuge/frag tank, 100 sump
Casey

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33068

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
brubakron wrote:
I am excited to check out his build, and will be following along. I will be interested to hear what you notice with a shallow tank compared to the 30 inch deep tank.

Thanks for following along, you are more then welcome to come check it out anytime. Im very interested myself to see what I notice with a shallow tank compared to the 30 inch deep 265 gallon. I'm very happy with the build so far everything has been going very well.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by iFrizk.Spataro.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33069

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Here are some pictures of the sump, to go along with the building of the 57 gallon tank.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Both drains will drain into the left taller area then follow into the next area in font of the following chamber then into the main equipment area of the sump.

First area is just a drain area next is where I will put a filter pad that I cut to size. Next we are into the main area of the sump. This happens on both sides.

This message has attachments images.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33070

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Also another quick note I zip tied a coupling on the egg-crate so that I could change the hight of the egg-crate as many times as I wanted without ever re-drilling and new zip ties. I just cut the new size I want and slide it on.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33083

• saltyfish
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
What I love about this hobby is how much an art form the build process becomes. I've never seen two tanks built the exact same unless it was done on purpose. Even then the tanks turn out different. What I like about taller tanks is that you have the ability to move corals up and down to make them happy. I'm glad to see someone take on the challenge of a shallow reef tank and I will be following along as well.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 5 months ago #33100

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Wow, finally had time to read this :)

I had clicked on the topic when you had first posted, and saw all the information, and was like, :blink: I don't have time to read all this right now :lol:

Needless to say, I finally made time to read through it all today. Very cool build thread, and a ton of information and nuanced detail to go along with it, thank you for sharing (and posting all of the pictures)! I will definitely be following this for the long run. It will be interesting to see how the livestock develops in the "shallow" environment. I think the foot print of the tank is awesome, and I think it is cool you are sticking with a similar water volume as your previous build but still trying something different. What I appreciate the most about your build thus far is the detail and scalability of your equipment list. Some very smart decisions functionally and financially that allow you to plug in what is needed to get out of the system what you want (pumps, powerheads, lights, etc.).

Nice work :side:

Edit: Sweet avatar photo by the way!
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Zoomer/Phil.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33450

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
I apologize everyone for the slow updates. I have a lot more to put out, and hope to get back on the band wagon. A lot has been going on here at the home front, was out of town for over two weeks then had family staying with me for over a week, then the holidays. So just not a lot of spare time as well as the summer is a very busy time for me at work.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer, and talk to you soon.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33451

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
Wow, finally had time to read this :)

I had clicked on the topic when you had first posted, and saw all the information, and was like, :blink: I don't have time to read all this right now :lol:

Needless to say, I finally made time to read through it all today. Very cool build thread, and a ton of information and nuanced detail to go along with it, thank you for sharing (and posting all of the pictures)! I will definitely be following this for the long run. It will be interesting to see how the livestock develops in the "shallow" environment. I think the foot print of the tank is awesome, and I think it is cool you are sticking with a similar water volume as your previous build but still trying something different. What I appreciate the most about your build thus far is the detail and scalability of your equipment list. Some very smart decisions functionally and financially that allow you to plug in what is needed to get out of the system what you want (pumps, powerheads, lights, etc.).

Nice work :side:

Edit: Sweet avatar photo by the way!

Glad you had the time to sit down read it, my goal was to put a lot of great information out about my success, and failures to help everyone learn or at least amuse everyone else that has been in a similar situation. Hope all is well, I’m sure you have a little less time with the little one rolling around. :dolphin:

Great to hear you will be following along. I feel this will be an interesting build due to its great water volume, but usual foot prints. I appreciate your input Phil, your tanks are looking great as well. I’ve been watching your progress as well and everything is looking great. :fish4: :seahorse: :fish6:

On a side note my avatar is a Dussumier Tang from my 265 gallon setup. Really loved that fish, tons of personality. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33452

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
At this point I was ready to get going onto the pluming stage, because my two inserts that fit down at the bottom of the stand were done. They just had fished being painted, sealed, and were looking great. :hermit:

My sump was built, sealed, and water tested. (this was posted as an earlier post) :fish1:

So now I was ready to set the sump underneath the stand :woohoo: and get the pluming mapped out and started.

I set the sump underneath the stand, and got the pluming going. Starting with lots of measurements, and planning everything out on paper a few times. Once I felt like everything was how I wanted it on paper I went to Lowes :shark:

Next I took my drawings that had all the plans on it to Lowes. Before hand I also made a list of all the pvc parts needed to double check my drawings. :? Then headed to Lowes to get all of the parts. This way I had my drawings, and a list of things needed. I still bought extra parts as well hoping to prevent multiple trips to Lowes by having extra parts and a well thought out list.

Next I will post lots of pictures to follow. :dolphin:

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33453

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Here are some shots of the pluming once done. Things to note, there is a check value off of the return pump. Two gate valves controlling the flow on the Herbie overflow on each side. Also there is a shut off/ control valve that runs off the return pump to the soon to be 20 gallon high that will be the refugium and will flow right back in the the sump before the filter sock stage.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33454

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
pics or it didn't happen....lol
60G Cube

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33455

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Boggers-Mike wrote:
pics or it didn't happen....lol

LOL So true!!! Well i tired posting them and the file was to large it said. So I will give it another try!!

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33456

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Full Shot of everything

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 4 months ago #33457

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags

This message has attachments images.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds