Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Shallow Reef Build

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32901

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
My 210 gallon Shallow Reef :)

This is my first build thread. I've wanted to do one before just never took the time. 

Little history lesson first. My first saltwater tank was a full reef ready Oceanic 90 Gallon bow front.  I bought it used, and came with everything ready to go.  An older AquaC EV-180 protein skimmer that came with a MAG drive 7. The lighting it came with was a set of IceCap ballast to go with the VHO lights. So it was great for the time being. 

But as time went on I swapped out my standard 90 gallon with built in overflows from a fresh water to a saltwater and then my bow front from salt to fresh water. I did this because I liked the look of saltwater in the standard tank better. For any Fresh water people out there it was a group of 22 Tropheus moorii Chaitika aka (Blue Rainbows) it was a beautiful group of fish.

Onto to the next stage of my saltwater journey was a little jump to a 265 gallon tank that I replaced my 180 gallon mix Cichlid tank with that was mostly peacocks.  At this time I sold all of my livestock as well as the tank and moved forward into the largest TANK I've owned as well as the largest saltwater tank I had kept. Going from the 90 gallon reef to the 265 gallon reef.

Now onto my next build which is what this thread is about. My 210 gallon shallow build. I've always thought the shallow builds were really interesting, and if done right they are great looking tanks.  There are quite a few on Reef Central that are really amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing the end results with my shallow build.

During this transition I'm currently going through I lost 100 present of my live stock due to a power outage this past winter. I was hoping to have everything in the stock tank during the transfer for maybe a month or two but it turned into almost 6 months, it was very cold this past winter and with the setup in the garage and adding a power outage mix well everything had froze to death with such a quick temperature drop and I did not have my Apex running to alert me because this was supposed to be a pretty quick turn over.

The reason this transfer took longer then I anticipated was because I was having a steel stand made, the stand was getting welded and just took much longer due to some complications the shop had that was welding my stand. Some really bad flooding was happening during this time in our area, and damaged some of the equipment in their shop. But it was a lesson learned and next time I will hook up the Apex. Good news is the stand turned out great it was a job well done.

But here is a list of the lost coral I had that I plan on collecting once again. Some I sold when shutting the main display down so that is a positive, as well as I took a few pieces to a friends.

SPS
Green Psammocora
Frog Skin 
Blue Mili
Sunset Milli
Orange Milli
Rainbow Pocillopora
Green Pocillopora
Green Slimmer
Green Digitata
Red Forrest fire Digitata
German Blue Digitata
Purple tip Digitata
Green Spongode
Green Bird's Nest
Pink Bird's Nest
Ponpae Bird's Nest
Sour Apple Bird's Nest
Bird of Paradise
Orange Monti Cap
Purple Monti Cap
Green Monti Cap
Scroll Monti Cap

LPS 
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Branching Hammer
Wall Hammer
Tube Coral, Yellow
Button Coral Cynarina, Red
Red Acan
Orange Acan
Bubble Coral
Duncans
Candy Cane
KryptoniteTrumpets
Favites
Pagoda

I also had a handful of Zoes but nothing crazy, and these are more like if I come across some great ones cool, if not no big deal. I am a huge fan of the Euphyllia family wither it is a torch, hammer, or frogspawn and the color is green, orange, or purple I just really like them.
At that point of losing everything I just took a step back and just told myself there is no point to being in a rush to get things going now and push the pause button. 

So after everything died I've just have been gathering my thoughts as to how I was going to do everything. Fast forwarding to now I'm hoping within the next few weeks I should be up and running. I've taken many pictures, and will post them as I continue this thread.

Hope you all tag along and enjoy.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by iFrizk.Spataro.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfie2012

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32902

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Just for fun here is a old picture of my 180 gallon fresh water Mixed Cichlid tank.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32903

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Here is a picture of the stand, also a reference of how big it really is. That is my little one just relaxing and checking things out.

As for something I've learned from my last steel stand, some of the products I used for example a Rust Oleum paint to seal the stand just did not work for me. This is why with the new one I got the 210 stand powered coated. One reason I bring up the rust topic, is you can see it in the carpet :woohoo: from the picture of where the old stand was.

This message has attachments images.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32904

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Here is a picture from the welding stage, before sand blasted and powder coated. :cheer: :)

This message has an attachment image.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32906

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
Very nice start, and that really sucks about the loss (sorry)
What are the dimensions one the new tank? Do you have the equipment lined up yet?
60G Cube

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32907

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
Awesome! I am really excited that you've started up a build thread, I was hoping you would start a new one after I saw you were selling your 265. You have a lot to contribute to the community!
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32910

• saltyfish
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
wolfie2012 wrote:
Awesome! I am really excited that you've started up a build thread, I was hoping you would start a new one after I saw you were selling your 265. You have a lot to contribute to the community!

I too was afraid you were getting out of the hobby when I saw you selling your system. It's good to see you are hanging around and will be watching the progress.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32920

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Boggers-Mike wrote:
Very nice start, and that really sucks about the loss (sorry)
What are the dimensions one the new tank? Do you have the equipment lined up yet?

Mike,
Thank you, I will agree with that, it is no fun. Also to answer your question i'm just in the process of putting a post together of my equipment plan, and a list of dimensions of the new tank. So keep an eye out.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32921

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
wolfie2012 wrote:

Wolfie,
Thank you for the kind words. I'm pretty excited about starting up a build thread myself, and looking forward to the bit of learning we can all get from my failures as well as all the things that do well while documenting this build.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32922

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
saltyfish wrote:
wolfie2012 wrote:

I too was afraid you were getting out of the hobby when I saw you selling your system. It's good to see you are hanging around and will be watching the progress.

saltyfish,
Glad to hear you will be following the progress as well. I don't see myself going any where soon. I'm definitely looking forward to it being up and running as well as having some live stock again. Although one of the best parts as i'm sure most will agree with me is this stage where you are setting everything up and still in the planing/building phase of equipment and so on.

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32927

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Here is the dimensions of my Shallow 210
It has two center overflows with three 1” holes drilled in each overflow.
Tank Dimensions
LxWxH
96”x36”x14”

The Stand is a steel stand, powder coated with a glossy black.
The Dimensions
LxWxH
96”x36”x40”

Custom sump - approx. 57 gallons
LxWxH
48”x18”x15.5
This was a really fun part of the build so far, building my own sump. I will go into further detail later.

My current equipment list is:

Sump: 57 gallons - two drains in each overflow - two filter pad areas for mechanical - that will flow into main equipment area of the sump.

Refugium: Standard 20 gallon high

ATO: 65 gallon storage

Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 Protein Skimmer

Return Pump: Jebao DC-12000

Circulation: 4x Jebao WP25

Lights: 3x Radions XR30w

Controller: Apex with
-2x EB8
-WXM module
-Breakout box

Chiller: Not running one

Reactor: Next Reef MR1

Dosing pumps: Kamoer - model KSP-F

Here is some of my reasoning for the equipment I chose above, maybe this will help others. Or maybe some people will have even better ideas. All equipment listed above I have already and will explain in the order above.

-The Stand
I went with a steel stand because I had a steel one with the 265 gallon and loved it. Here is where I went wrong first time around. I did not go with a sealer that withstood the saltwater, and well looked like crap a few years later.
Next part I found that I went wrong with the stand, was the height. I made it 30” tall and for me I try my best to make this hobby as easy as possible, but working in that area for me was a pain. It was made with 2x2 square tubing so right away I loss 4” putting it at 26” to work with. Long story short it was just no fun.

So on this one I went big, I went 40” tall. So far one of the best things I ever did. Due to where my tank is located I do not have room for the tank to be in the wall and the equipment ran elsewhere, nor do I have the space for an equipment room.

Which this is one really cool thing about this shallow build is that the stand is 40” and the tank is 14” so at 54” I can still look right over the tank with no problem, or when sitting I can see right into the aquarium.

-The Sump
Originally I was going to do two 40 gallon breeders plumbed together as I did in the past with my 265 aquarium. Which fit great and I felt like I maximized the space I had at the time. With this build there was no way I felt like I was maximizing my space with two 40 breeders. So onto to the custom sump in which I was excited to do a little DIY which I had never built a tank from the glass up. I will give pictures on the sump later.

-The Refugium
Nothing fancy just a standard 20 gallon high that will have a pipe split off of the main return into this tank. It will be drilled so that it can drain right into the sump because it is on a little stand that will make it higher then the sump and flow right down into the sump area.

-The ATO
Again nothing fancy here, just a larger storage tank then I have ever had before. The large 65 gallon storage tank is due to my last setup the 265 I had a 20 gallon ATO tank which worked great but only lasted about a week and a half maybe two weeks.

Remember how I said I try my best to make this hobby as easy as possible, well in my mind that includes not refilling the ATO tank every week and a half or so. I’m hoping the 65 gallons will last over a month which would be great. I was able to do this due to the large amount of space I have under the aquarium stand. If I had an equipment room with a drain my ATO would run straight from my RODI unit to the sump, or a RODI to storage tank for hold and mixing as well as all plumed straight to system.

-The Skimmer
This is the best skimmer I've ever owned very very well made, it has been amazing and did really well with a fully stocked 265. The Vertex Alpha 250 Protein Skimmer was the line of skimmers that were designed and manufactured by Royal Exclusiv for Vertex before Vertex and Royal Exclusiv split. They are no longer in any kind of partnership. Royal Exclusiv is the same company that makes the Bubble King line of skimmers. I was also able to talk to the owner of Royal Exclusiv at the MCANA in Denver. Very nice guy and we had a great talk.

-The Return Pump
I went with a Jebao DC-12000 because I wanted a pump with extra power if needed and that was controllable. The bigger pump with extra power is needed for the return because it is split into each overflow then is also split to go to the refugium, and possibly a reactor as well like a Carbon/GFO if needed. I have used MAG drives, RIOs, REEFLO, Waveline, Panworld, and many more but after all of those I've been happy with the Jebao they have treated me well. I first tried the Jebaos just as it was cheap, and did not used a ton of electricity. If I had an equipment room with a drain (LOL that is my new motto) I wouldn't mind running a REEFFLO or Panworld because I liked both of those pumps but just the factor of having an external pump just does not sit well with me with not having a drain in the same room. This is the same reason I use an internal skimmer.

-Circulation
Due to the tank being so long as well as two center overflows chopping things up. I’m going to need some great flow but not to powerful due to the shallow waters. I had two Vortech MP40s but that was some of the equipment I sold off during the time frame of selling my 265. Plus I feel that the Vortech MP40 would have been to much. I ran a few Jebao WP25 to help with areas that needed flow in the 265 and they worked great.

So we shall see how they work with the shallow waters in the 210 because this will be a new adventure for me. Flow I feel is a really big part to having a healthy tank, because with the proper flow it helps keep areas from having to much build up and things such as Red slime algae aka cyanobacteria and the accumulation of broken down organic matter in an aquarium that with the proper flow could have been caught in a filter pad or filter sock and not settled.

But I am not set on these for sure. In the back of my mind I’ve been thinking of maybe trying a few Vortech MP10s or even the new circulation
pumps that Neptune Systems is coming out with called the WAV.
www.neptunesystems.com/wav/

-Lights
For the lights this was easy, I’ve done the DIY Rapid LED setup which was great really liked them and they were well worth it, and did a great job on the 265. But the problem with the 210 is I want something that is going to look very slick with having a floating canopy. I did not like the idea of looking under or being at the right angle when sitting and seeing nothing but wires and cords. I found a set of Radions XR30w at an amazing price still looking for one more by the way. But it was a great deal from a fellow reefer that got out of the hobby and that I trust.

-Controller
This for me was another easy one, I personally would not go with another controller. The APEX has been great in the pass and does a good job with tons of flexibility.
I have two EB8s that I will run as well as the WXM module for the lights and possibly a few Vortech MP10s. As well as the breakout box that runs my ATO.

-Chiller
I never have ran one in the pass, and I don't believe I will need one on this setup either. Although I do have one from last summer/fall when I ran the stock tank in the garage. But we all know how that ended, running it longer then I ever thought into the winter months, power outage and boom thee end. So yes if anyone wants a chiller I have one and it was hardly used.

-Reactor
I don't really use reactors very much just have not had the need, but do have one just in case, and it is ready to rumble.

-Dosing pump
I’m going to try this one out I have never used it so we shall see. Another piece of equipment I may be buying if this does not work out how I would like it to is the Neptune Systems DOS. But as of now I feel they are still working some things out on it, so we shall see. One thing I can say is Neptune Systems customer service is great.
www.neptunesystems.com/dos/

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32928

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
That is a very well thought out plan. I was going to say you will want more light but you are already on that.

As for the WP25 VS MP10 I have had both and can say the WP25 have a stronger push to get farther into the tank where the MP10 is better at getting the the entire water column moving.

I live my Jebao 12000 and have it on a 75G set at 60% :)

I await more info on that sump
60G Cube

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32929

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Boggers-Mike wrote:
That is a very well thought out plan. I was going to say you will want more light but you are already on that.

As for the WP25 VS MP10 I have had both and can say the WP25 have a stronger push to get farther into the tank where the MP10 is better at getting the the entire water column moving.

I live my Jebao 12000 and have it on a 75G set at 60% :)

I await more info on that sump

Well thank you. Another thing I have looked into was EcoTech has made a Wide Angle Lens Upgrade Kit for the Radion. Due to the dimensions of my tank, I should have no problems with the light penetrating the water to have great PAR at the bottom of 14". But if I feel I'm not getting the light cover that I want this will be a great option especially at the price point of 35.00 per set of lenses for each light. I feel that is pretty fair price.

Thank you for the input of your experience with the WP25 VS MP10, I think this will just be a trial and error to see what flow I can get and if I'm happy with it. I will agree the Jebao's are powerful pumps. I remember thinking that when I compared my WP40 with my MP40.

As for your point with the DC1200 this is my point exactly. In my mind the price difference for the DC6000, DC9000 and DC12000 are not much at all, and to just get the bigger pump due to it is controllable. With that said my hope is running a larger pump at say 60% like yours or even 75% will help with the longevity of the pump. :cheer:

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32930

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags

Here are some progress photo's
This is when adding the foam and board, I did not do it on my last setup but thought what the heck I will try it and see what I think. My idea for doing it is to help with leveling and keeping all the pressure even.

Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by iFrizk.Spataro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfie2012

My Shallow Reef Build 2 years 6 months ago #32945

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
Well more pictures as promised, this will be a photo heavy thread. Which I know I always enjoy threads that are filled with lots of pictures so I hope you all do as well.

The tank had to be turned on its side to get through the door which was very interesteing getting six guys through a doorway everyone trying to help.

Here is the crew two brothers, two Gym buddies, one neighbor and myself.

Happy to see it in place.

Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by iFrizk.Spataro.
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds