Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40/40 Build

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34275

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
I am so jealous of you and that candy basslet! I love how they look, but he would get so lost in my tank I'd never see him. :unsure:
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34276

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
wolfie2012 wrote:
I am so jealous of you and that candy basslet! I love how they look, but he would get so lost in my tank I'd never see him. :unsure:

Yeah, I had a Cave Basslet (Mowbrayi) in the 120 - it went into hiding and was never seen again :pinch:

You could always set up a 40 breeder... :whistle:
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34278

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:

Hmm, good idea, and I just so happen to have one of those setup at the moment as an LPS tank in my back room. Lol. ;-)
Steve

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34279

• Zoomer/Phil
wolfie2012 wrote:
Zoomer/Phil wrote:

Hmm, good idea, and I just so happen to have one of those setup at the moment as an LPS tank in my back room. Lol. ;-)

There it is :woohoo:

*You can add a "Whoomp" in there if you'd like ;)

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34282

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
There it is :woohoo:

*You can add a "Whoomp" in there if you'd like ;)

Hah! If I do it'll be a little while anyway. I downsized most of my quarantine tanks and just kept the 75 gallon running. :P
Steve

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34349

• Zoomer/Phil
The carbon dosing is really starting to take effect, according to last nights test I'm down to 12 nitrates. It looked as if they could even be a little lower than that, so I had the wife give her perspective too. She thought it could also be lower, but we errored that they're still on the high side.

I will aim to keep my nitrates around 5 or so. Pretty soon, another couple weeks anyways, and I'll be able to begin the process of setting my maintenance dose of vinegar. I've been testing nitrates every 5-8 days ensuring there are no wild swings :S

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34353

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
The carbon dosing is really starting to take effect, according to last nights test I'm down to 12 nitrates. It looked as if they could even be a little lower than that, so I had the wife give her perspective too. She thought it could also be lower, but we errored that they're still on the high side.

I will aim to keep my nitrates around 5 or so. Pretty soon, another couple weeks anyways, and I'll be able to begin the process of setting my maintenance dose of vinegar. I've been testing nitrates every 5-8 days ensuring there are no wild swings :S

Seeing a noticeable difference in a month is a good sign. I've seen it take up to 3 months before people notice anything. Good job :)
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34369

• Juice
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 64
wolfie2012 wrote:
Zoomer/Phil wrote:

Seeing a noticeable difference in a month is a good sign. I've seen it take up to 3 months before people notice anything. Good job :)

That is really good to hear your nitrates are on a downward trend now. I really like the organic carbon dosing alot for my system.

3 months seems like a long time to have to notice anything. I would seem to doubt the dosing was done right. Ideally you keep amping your dosing up rather quickly to a point till you notice a change; at least with the method I'm doing and have read. Stop buying those expensive pellets and reactor Steve when you can just buy some vodka ;) Shot for you, shot for the tank :woohoo:

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34370

• Juice
  • User is blocked
Oh and Steve wait till you see his jawfish, I'm actually jealous of that fish too. Such a beauty! Can't wait to see that one in your tank Phil.

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34372

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Juice wrote:
3 months seems like a long time to have to notice anything. I would seem to doubt the dosing was done right. Ideally you keep amping your dosing up rather quickly to a point till you notice a change; at least with the method I'm doing and have read. Stop buying those expensive pellets and reactor Steve when you can just buy some vodka ;) Shot for you, shot for the tank :woohoo:

Lol, nope, 3 months is not a long time to see significant change with carbon dosing.

And no, I've never had nitrate issues and you very well know that so shaddap ya bum. :P

As for vodka, I would never dose with it. You have no idea what kind of rat turds are in that cheap crap you're dosing.
Steve

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34374

• Juice
  • User is blocked
wolfie2012 wrote:
Juice wrote:

Lol, nope, 3 months is not a long time to see significant change with carbon dosing.

And no, I've never had nitrate issues and you very well know that so shaddap ya bum. :P

As for vodka, I would never dose with it. You have no idea what kind of rat turds are in that cheap crap you're dosing.

You said 3 months to notice anything! Psh excuses excuses

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34378

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
I have a pic, from in The LFS

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

60G Cube
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Boggers-Mike.

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34399

• Zoomer/Phil
This fish eats like a pig! The couple of times I saw it at NAS it always had a plump belly. So much so that I was concerned there was something wrong with it, but Scott assured me it was because they had just got done feeding him.

Every time I saw him at the shop he was swimming in the water column and didn’t seem interested in burrowing. When I got him home I expected some change in behavior. After a few days of being a little shy and skittish, he went back being bold.

I have never had such an aggressive Jawfish! He has since begun building himself a nice burrow right up front where I can see him, which is nice of course. He spends his non-feeding time in there and I haven’t observed much that water column swimming like at the shop, but he is still an aggressive a feeder as ever. I have never seen a fish rocket for food the way he does! For a brief moment I thought I would have to get rid of him as I was concerned he would bully the Candy Basslet from getting enough food :pinch:

The other night I was feeding and the Candy Basslet was coming out from under its ledge (which is does readily) to snag a chunk of food floating by, and then all of a sudden the Jawfish bolts out of its burrow and snatches the food from less than an inch from the Basslet. Scared the crap (I don’t know about literally) out of the Basslet, and myself too (confirmed, not literally). But the Basslet wasn’t too phased and now just avoids getting near the burrow during feeding times.

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34400

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
That's so awesome. I had one years ago that carpet surfed and I was never able to bring myself to buy another one. I know you'll enjoy him!
Steve

40/40 Build 1 year 10 months ago #34401

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
It was definitely a sweet looking dude at the shop. Glad the 2 are OK with each other.
60G Cube
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds