Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40/40 Build

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28765

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Over the next few months I will be downsizing my 120 gallon display to two separate displays containing of a 45 gallon cube and a 29 gallon display. Progress on this build will be slow. I don’t anticipate tearing my current tank down until Thanksgiving and would plan to put livestock in the new system around Christmas. The new set up will be going exactly where my current set up is, allowing me to continue to utilize the stack of tanks I have set up in the adjacent laundry room.

As of right now I anticipate the 29 gallon display being a zoa and LPS tank focusing on some sort of Liopropoma Basslet and other favored small fish. The 45 cube will be my SPS tank. I plan on stocking the 45 cube with more semi-aggressive fish than I would have kept in the past – dottybacks, Four Line Wrasses, that sort of thing.

The rationale for my downsize are multi-purposed. I have had an itch to do a new build, and build off of the knowledge gained over the past two years with my 120. Secondly would be that while my tank has been up for two years now, I have concerns about my aquarium stands structural integrity over time. The stand is in great shape, it is just that I am not able to reinforce it the way I would like to while the tank is set up. The third reasoning for the down size is that I have my first kid arriving in February. By reducing the volumes of water, and therefore the size of fish I can keep, I will not have to feed such a high quantity of food – giving me a slight buffer in preserving water quality should time get away from me from time to time. I will still have over 150 gallons of total water volume in the system :)

I am just looking for the most sustainable/enjoyable way for me to stay engaged in the hobby with all of the life changes I have coming up, and this seems like the best way to go about it. I am excited about having two separate displays, allowing me to maintain some specimens that I would not be able to otherwise. For the most part I will be able to reuse my current equipment, so beyond new aquarium furniture, plumbing, and the tanks themselves this should have minimal cost associated with it. That being said, I may just have to pick up a DC return pump, nano gyre power head, and maybe finally get that Apex while I’m at it ;)

Here is a top down picture of how the tanks will be laid out. The top and left side will be against walls.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

*Title of topic has been changed to reflect the change to the 29 gallon tank, which will now be a custom 40 gallon tank.

This message has an attachment image.

New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Zoomer/Phil.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28766

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
Congrats on the little one on the way! Very exciting.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Multiple tanks are fun. Anything specific you know you're doing this time that you wish you would have with your current setup? Oh, and I'll have an Apex Lt ready to sell pretty soon ;-)
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28769

• Zoomer/Phil
The structural integrity of the stand is my number one objective to overcome, which will be simple enough. Otherwise other challenges to conquer are:

Ensure there is an abundance of overflow capacity. While this will not be as much of a problem on a smaller system, I want the ability to create high turnover capability for the sake of mechanical filtration, if for anything during maintenance/cleaning.

Have my fuge drain into a display can create a lot of micro bubbles. I have overcome that in my current system, but I would like to have it drain via a bulkhead, and use a stan pipe to control the bubbles. I am hoping this will give me the ability to have a little more flow through my fuge if I wanted to.

I like my sump, a lot. But I would like to have a bulkhead or two installed for the drain side to tidy things up a bit. I also want to make sure that I can physically remove my entire skimmer from the sump. Currently my skimmer is trapped in my stand, I can remove the pump for maintenance but would like to be able to remove the whole thing.

Those are the big “fixes” that come to mind immediately. I am sure there will be others as I have time to dream big in my small system :)

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28770

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
I also want to make sure that I can physically remove my entire skimmer from the sump. Currently my skimmer is trapped in my stand, I can remove the pump for maintenance but would like to be able to remove the whole thing.

That's the thing I am grateful for the most by finally being able to have the equipment in a separate room. Access to equipment is sooo much easier and I don't dread having to do maintenance anymore. Of course that's not as easy under the stand, but you can certainly fix that since it's a focus of your plan. :-)

Are you building your own stand? Are you doing one for each tank, or one big one?
Steve

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28771

• Zoomer/Phil
I would love to sump to my laundry room, but there's no way my wife is going to give up more space there ;)

I will be building my own stand and canopy. The stand will essentially be a table top that is 5'2" by 2'6". This is where my thought energy currently is, I'm picking up the tanks this week so I can best get my head wrapped around the first part of this project.

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 1 month ago #28828

• Zoomer/Phil
I have purchased the tanks for this project, looks like this downsize is for real...

I hope to start the construction of the stand in the next couple of weeks. I would like this stand and canopy to sit flush against the wall, so I have went to Home Depot, Menards, and Millard Lumber yesterday to see if they carry unfinished louvers that I would be able to make the side panels out of for ventilation. Needless to say I still haven't found what I am looking for :lol:

I'll keep looking/figure out another option that will allow for some air flow exchange :side:

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 4 weeks ago #29326

• Zoomer/Phil
I have the 2x4 frame for the stand built thus far (still a long way to go on that) :unsure:

Even more cool then a few 2x4's screwed together is the 42 gallon Glass Cages tank I picked up this morning :woohoo:

This will (probably) be my LPS/Zoa tank - with hopefully a really nice Liopropoma basslet

This message has an attachment image.

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 4 weeks ago #29328

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society
  • Thank you received: 48
Phil,
Congrats on the upcoming new addition to the family. However, don't be discouraged with the fact that you may lose some time with your tank. I have an almost 18 month old that loves to "help dad" when it comes to play time with the tank. There are many a nights and days that my son grabs me and drags the rolling computer chair infront of the tank and we sit there and watch the fish swim back and forth. Good luck to you in your downsize and if your 120 is up for sale let me know as I may have an interest in it for my previously mentioned DIY build I would like to accomplish.
Gerrit

Regal Homes Drafting & Design

40/40 Build 3 years 4 weeks ago #29330

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Awesome! Now hurry up and get some water in that box!
Steve

40/40 Build 3 years 2 weeks ago #29489

• Zoomer/Phil
The build is progressing well thus far, but I have forgotten how expensive and time consuming stand construction can be :S

Here's progression of the stand. There are definitely challenges with staining/finishing in colder weather, hopefully I have the right mix of ventilation and heaters for the garage. I am excited to see how high the tanks will sit on the stand. These will hopefully be great tanks to sit and stare at. I'll be drilling the tanks this weekend, I really really really really hope that goes well :unsure:

This message has attachments images.

-My old 120 build
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Zoomer/Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boggers-Mike

40/40 Build 3 years 2 weeks ago #29540

• iFrizk.Spataro
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 31
Looking forward to watch this come together Phil, if you need anything please let me know. I will help where I can, because all in all that is what I feel the hobby is about. :)

Side note +1 to the DC return pump, I have enjoyed mine. I will give another +1 to the Apex it is really amazing what you can do with it.

40/40 Build 3 years 1 week ago #29543

• Zoomer/Phil

I was able to pick up an Apex from Mike, and I'm well on my way to selecting and paying for that DC return pump - all from the sale of coral that won't be making the new tank ;)

I have a long weekend coming up, so I'm hoping to have the carpentry complete and if I'm lucky the garage will stay warm enough for me to prime and paint the stand too... I also hope to have the 120 torn down by the end of the weekend too, but that may be a bit ambitious, we'll see :side:

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 6 days ago #29642

• Zoomer/Phil
Well, I got the holes drilled and the Eurobracing installed on the 45 cube without incident :)

Oh yeah, and I finished the stand and canopy this weekend too :silly: I truly forgot how time consuming all that work can be, and it makes sense why aquarium furniture is so expensive. I have atleast 30 hours into this stand plus the cost of materials :S

Anyhow, here is some progression photos.

The bare bones

Some perspective of what the view will be like

Primer, lots of primer :unsure:

And done!

More pictures to come, and I still have a ways to go getting this set up, but the progress is coming along :)

This message has attachments images.

-My old 120 build

40/40 Build 3 years 6 days ago #29643

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
I have to ask.....that fits through the doorway right?

looking good regardless.
60G Cube
Last Edit: 3 years 6 days ago by Boggers-Mike.

40/40 Build 3 years 6 days ago #29644

• Zoomer/Phil
The beauty of building to spec: I popped the door off the hinges and had a whole 3/8" to spare :)

-My old 120 build
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boggers-Mike
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds