Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve's 300g DD build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32048

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
You've done all the right things, hopefully it'll work out. Best of luck :side:
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32049

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
Zoomer/Phil wrote:

For some reason that doesn't sound encouraging ;-) heh.

Well, the first few fish are in the tank now, and doing well, leaving my 75 empty and waiting for a certain Quoyi to come home tomorrow.... and my Foxface didn't tag me so that's good. He does NOT like being caught.

This weekend the Borbonius and the Achilles will also go in the tank, and possibly the blackice clown, but he's still tiny so I may put him into the 40 breeder to grow out a bit first. I am curious how the Achilles will like the big tank. He's such a little puppy, but I can tell he's quickly getting tired of the limited space of the 40b he's in now.

This weekend's plans are also to rearrange the fish room a bit and replace one of the 10 gallon QT's with a 20 for the seaponies to grow out a bit more. It will also give me the space to put a sump under the 40 breeder so I can make it a frag/coral QT tank.

Fun and exciting stuff.
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32051

• Zoomer/Phil
wolfie2012 wrote:
Zoomer/Phil wrote:

For some reason that doesn't sound encouraging ;-) heh.

You didn't sound optimistic ;)

Glad everybody is adjusting well so far :side:

Oh yeah, and glad to hear you didn't get tagged by the Foxface, my Rabbit was the same, very skiddish, and scared the cap out of me :pinch:

-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32052

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
Oh yeah, and glad to hear you didn't get tagged by the Foxface, my Rabbit was the same, very skiddish, and scared the cap out of me :pinch:

It's funny, he'll gently eat right out of my hand, but the second he sees the critter container, all bets are off.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32054

• saltyfish
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
Catching my Foxface was not an easy task either.

I'm sure those ten weeks felt like forever. How long did you medicate? Did you use Cupramine or another form of copper?

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32059

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
saltyfish wrote:
Catching my Foxface was not an easy task either.

I'm sure those ten weeks felt like forever. How long did you medicate? Did you use Cupramine or another form of copper?

I did 3 weeks of Cupramine, and about 9 weeks of observation since we didn't catch the last fish until about a month after I got the rest of them out. Those 2 fish are still in their own QT, and I haven't treated them with anything yet though I will treat them before I put them back in the display. They haven't ever shown any signs of the parasite, but I'm not taking any chances.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32091

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Small update - I haven't moved any other fish into the tank. Yesterday morning I noticed 1 small spot on the Foxface. I'm not convinced yet that it is crypto, but I can't rule it out either. If it was still in the display, and knowing the lifecycle of the parasite, it would be a huge coincidence to have hit him so quickly after moving him back. He showed no signs of it in QT for 9 weeks after the copper treatment, and so I can't imagine him still having it while he was there. After 10 weeks of the display being fallow, I also can't imagine it still being in the tank, much less having the cysts hatching immediately upon the fish going into the tank. If it appeared after a week or so, sure I'd believe it could be an especially tough strain, but maybe I just have horrible luck.

Either way, it is what it is. I will observe for a few weeks and see whether it progresses or if it migrates to the other fish in the display. If I see any progression, then back into QT they will go, and next time it will be 12 weeks fallow.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32092

• Zoomer/Phil
On a slightly different note, have you noticed any difference in your corals since your system has been fallow?

-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32093

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
On a slightly different note, have you noticed any difference in your corals since your system has been fallow?

Actually yes, I noticed that my coral health declined somewhat in a few different SPS corals. Others though don't seem affected and actually grew noticeably - A. microclados, A. tortuosa, and A. secale showed excellent growth. One of my montipora isn't looking well at all, and neither is my pocillopora. Both are fairly easy SPS to care for, so it is a little weird. I wasn't feeding the tank nearly as much as i normally would, and I ran out of acropower for about 3 weeks, so maybe that's a reason.. or it could be the lack of fish waste. If I have to do it again, I'll be feeding as normal and paying more attention to it.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32094

• Boggers-Mike
  • Thank you received: 261
That is interesting indeed. I would guess fish waste is a primary food and that is why they are easier to keep but that is pure guess.
60G Cube

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32097

• Clever-Brian
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 14
Boggers-Mike wrote:
That is interesting indeed. I would guess fish waste is a primary food and that is why they are easier to keep but that is pure guess.

Well its shown that SPS like a bit of N03 in the water and grow the best when they have ~5ppm N03 avalible for them.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32106

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Thank you received: 145
Ah, the old fish poop myth. There are some peer reviewed articles available, but the jist is fish waste contributes fine grade carbonates on the reef, but that's it. Poop is poop :)

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32108

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
jdiefenbaugh wrote:
Ah, the old fish poop myth. There are some peer reviewed articles available, but the jist is fish waste contributes fine grade carbonates on the reef, but that's it. Poop is poop :)

Yep, I thought it was obvious that I was straw-grasping in that original comment. Correlation != causation, and in actuality it could be any number of reasons those 2 specimens declined in health.

On a happier note, my H. kuda pair had about 137 ponies today.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32110

• saltyfish
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
I wish our hobby was easy but if there was no challenge it might get boring. I've been having my own issues for the last 6 months. My Acros have actually been doing better than my monti caps. So many variables; not enough time in the day.

Great news on the ponies! I just got another pair of H erectus today from the same breeder I got my other pair a year ago. I would definitely be interested in getting some kudas. How big were yours when they started breeding?
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by saltyfish.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 7 months ago #32112

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
saltyfish wrote:
I wish our hobby was easy but if there was no challenge out might get boring. I've been having my own issues for the last 6 months. My Acros have actually been doing better than my monti caps. So many variables; not enough time in the day.

Great news on the ponies! I just got another pair of H erectus today from the same breeder I got my other pair a year ago. I would definitely be interested in getting some kudas. How big were yours when they started breeding?

That's the truth.

The parents are about 5 inches or so, about 10 months old I am guessing. They are ORA yellow kuda, so these babies are at least F2 generation captive bred, though I suspect it's at least F3 or more. We'll see how many survive this go around, since I have never reared kuda before. The babies are readily hunting down and snicking baby brine so that's a plus. I had to deal with some hydroids in this batch of brine though so going to go with decapped with the next batch.

As for my 2 H. erectus ponies, they're entirely on frozen mysis now. I'm moving them to a larger tank tomorrow since they've exploded in growth since making the transition. Still not sure on sexing, hopefully should know definitively soon.
Steve

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds