Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve's 300g DD build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #29968

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
OK, now a few more pictures:

This one of my blonde naso is a little blurry, but shows his streamers really well:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Acropora austera:
This one has become two tone because of where I have it and the growth pattern in relation to the light. I think it gives it a cool shadow effect.

Acropora sarmentosa:

Acropora spathulata:
She's pink with yellow tips.

Acropora microclados:

Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by wolfie2012.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #29974

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
So... FML. I was doing some maintenance on my return pump tonight and cracked the output threads. I should have been paying more attention to the fact I was over tightening the threads. Of course I don't have a spare so I was scrambling to find something to keep even a modicum of circulation. I currently have the main displays running off my UV pump, and the seahorses are on a sponge filter. Should last the night at least until I can figure out wtf I'm going to do before I get the replacement part.

If anybody has some spare hammerhead parts or a beefier return pump I can borrow for the short term, please let me know!
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #29977

• danish.bhatti
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Thank you received: 78
I have a Blueline HD 70 pump as back up that you can use. It has 1" connection for both in and out. I am home all day today.

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #29992

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
danish.bhatti wrote:
I have a Blueline HD 70 pump as back up that you can use. It has 1" connection for both in and out. I am home all day today.

Thanks for the offer Danish, I appreciate it. I think I'm ok for now though. I ended up picking up a mag 12 and am running the system on the 2 pumps. I ordered a second hammerhead, as well as the replacement part for my first one, which will become the backup. The new pump should be here tomorrow, so I think I should be ok for another day.

I should have anticipated this happening at some point. Always expect that something bad happens at the worst possible time. Ah well.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #30080

• GSchuurms
  • Administrator
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society
  • Thank you received: 48
Hey Steve,
Do you think you would be able to post a picture of your aquarium room and how it is laid out? Might show the scale and intricacy of this build even more. Plus, I'm a little interested in seeing what your final finished product looks like so I can more easily see a layout for my upcoming build.
Gerrit

Regal Homes Drafting & Design

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 11 months ago #30115

• jdiefenbaugh
  • Thank you received: 145
Order a spare set or seals, or two. They will go at some point. For whatever reason, I've had a lot of problems with the newer sequence pumps. The zoo bought a bunch of MRC protein skimmers that all use sequence pumps, and almost all of them didn't even last 6 months. Some leaked right out of the box..
The following user(s) said Thank You: danish.bhatti, wolfie2012

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31745

• Zoomer/Phil
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
How's it going?
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31764

• skard
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 18
Very nice build, I plan on setting up the same tank with an in wall build in a couple months in my basement. Are you happy with the radions? It would be great to see in person so I can "borrow" some of your ideas.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

Sir Winston Churchill

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31768

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
skard wrote:
Very nice build, I plan on setting up the same tank with an in wall build in a couple months in my basement. Are you happy with the radions? It would be great to see in person so I can "borrow" some of your ideas.

Awesome! Can't wait to see that build thread :)

I wouldn't use any other light at this point. It's given me very noticeable coral growth. I have a total of 9 of them now over a few different tanks.

I'm soon going to be organizing a tank tour of a variety of member tanks through the club if you're interested in joining. If not, no big deal, I'm not opposed to letting you see it anyway at some point :)
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31771

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
How's it going?

As many know, I lost a lot of fish and a few coral due to the crypto outbreak followed by the pump failure and and then the flood... all in the span of a week or so. The fish and coral I have left are doing pretty well though, spread out through several hospital tanks. Among the casualties were the blonde naso and purple tang, along with others that I've had for many years. Sadly I also lost my breeding pair of Hippocampus erectus. Devastating to be sure. Please everybody - always quarantine everything - snails, coral, fish... anything.

We're coming up on 8 weeks fallow this week. The system has been "mostly" fallow for about 10 weeks, but I'll be going at least a couple more weeks even though the fish that took awhile to get out have never shown signs of crypt. I NEVER want to go through the pain of catching all my fish again, so no reason to rush now.

I have added some things to my system, including a neptune dos, several permanent quarantine tanks, and 2 brine shrimp grow-out tanks.

Since I'd rather not end this post on a somber note, I'll give an update on the seaponies that I posted about earlier in this thread. Since I had vacations lined up, Juice had offered to take care of them. He had good success initially, though after some recent brine culture crashes, there were only 2 remaining. Since these were the last two offspring of my deceased breeding pair, and I really did not want to lose the lineage, I offered to take them back. I am able to work from home and so have much more availability to raise them. A sincere thank you to Juice for doing as well as he did, having never raised seahorse fry before. Wild seahorses have about a 1 in a thousand survival rate, so even with 2 remaining, we're ahead of the curve.

They're 15 weeks old tomorrow, and were still only eating live bbs prior to me getting them last Thursday. I already had several hundred adult live brine in my grow-out tank, but I really wanted them to transition to frozen quickly. I decided on a regiment of feeding at least 3x per day.

Day one, I enriched some of the live brine in selco and phyto, for about 30 minutes. They gorged themselves on it. The following morning (when they were hungriest) I tried chopping up some mysis to see if they were interested. They followed the pieces, but refused to snick any. Since brine and mysis really don't look all that similar, I decided to pick up some frozen brine that evening to try for the next morning.

Saturday I tried the frozen brine. In order to try and simulate live movement, I used a turkey baster to stir them up.... and it worked. Both ponies snicked the frozen brine, albeit only a couple of pieces. Still, it was a good sign. I included frozen brine in each feeding that day (before adding the live food), and each time they would snick a couple pieces. The last feeding of the day I chopped up some mysis to see if they might try it again. After 45 minutes of simulating movement, one of them decided to give it a try, and then the other. It was only a couple of tiny pieces each, but since I have plenty of live brine left, I decided to stop the frozen brine entirely in favor of the more nutritious mysis.

Sunday became even more successful. Each feeding they would more readily take in chopped up mysis. One of them is definitely more lively about eating the mysis, but both regularly took several pieces each time. I'm still feeding enriched live brine afterwards, but progress is being made. Since it takes 30 minutes to enrich the brine, I spend 30 minutes with a turkey baster each feeding to get them eating some mysis.

This morning it's been even easier. One of them has even started searching the bottom for the mysis, though he won't eat it unless it's moving in the water column.

I'll try and keep this updated on the status all around, both ponies and the main tank as time goes on. :)
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomer/Phil

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31773

• skard
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 18
Steve, thanks for the reply. I feel your pain on the tank issues, I lost four large SPS mother colonies, a couple sweet Maxima's, cynarinas, and a couple fish right after the move to my current home.

Great work on the seahorses, I hope they make it through. Yes definitely interested in the tank tour. What is the coverage area on the radion, 2' x 2'?

Thanks,
Scott
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

Sir Winston Churchill

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31775

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
skard wrote:
What is the coverage area on the radion, 2' x 2'?

I run 6 on the 300, and one on the cube. I think 2 would be too much on the 2x2 cube, but I wouldn't run less than 6 on the 300 for an sps tank, so... generally yes, 2x2 would be a good guideline. Tall tanks may need more to get the penetration, but I only run them at 70% max intensity so I think it would have to be a really tall tank. :)
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31780

• Zoomer/Phil
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Thanks for the update Steve, and for sharing the bad with the good. Your QT set up must be pretty substantial - an area where I'm lacking :whistle:
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #31791

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Zoomer/Phil wrote:
Your QT set up must be pretty substantial - an area where I'm lacking :whistle:

Yeah it's become that way. Between system, permanent QT, and temporary tanks, I'm up to 13 right now. I'll probably have 4 QT tanks running continuously once I can take down the temporary ones. It sounds like a lot, but it helps to be ready for new seahorse fry since my H. kuda pair look to have started some mating dances. They're young so I don't expect anything fruitful for a few months at least, but I've been wrong before. Possibly even wrong on multiple occasions on a variety of topics. ;-)
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 2 years 8 months ago #32044

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Small update, maybe pictures this weekend... and maybe not. My photography skills have been lacking lately.

Anyway, Seahorses are 17 weeks 3 days old and going strong. Their main diet now is frozen mysis a few times a day, and I still net a few adult brine to put in once a day as well. They still won't eat off the bottom of the tank, which is a pain, but oh well. They have doubled in size since I first got them back from Juice. One is definitely larger than the other, and hopefully should be able to sex them in 3-4 weeks or so. My pre-pouch sexing attempt has me thinking with 90% certainty that one is a female, and about 20% certainty that the larger one is a male. Guess we'll see if I'm right soon. :woohoo:

In other news, it has now been 10 weeks since I pulled the last fish out of my display. I'm currently acclimating my larger hospital tank to the display water. I must admit, I'm terrified to put them back in the display. After all the stress of getting them out of the tank and situated in several other tanks, if this little parasite is still hanging on I'm going to go crazy. Like seriously bonkers.

Still, I can't keep them out of the display forever, so I'm going for it. :S
Steve

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds