Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve's 300g DD build

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26693

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
So this build has been something I've been dreaming about for quite a while. It's finally starting to become reality now because, well, life is about compromise.

A little backstory - I've been wanting to move back to Florida for years.... literally pretty much since I stepped into Nebraska almost 15 years ago. The story is pretty simple really. My daughter was born back in 1999, and while I had other family in Florida, we weren't close at the time. My wife was fairly insistent that she wanted to raise our daughter near family. She's from Tekamah, and her parents are still there, so I ended up being dragged across the country (kicking and screaming) into this land locked piece of earth. Fast forward to a year ago - I had a decent job offer in Florida, but declined because something felt wrong about the company. I was going to look for other jobs down there, but my daughter was starting high school, and I didn't want to pull her out of school once she started. At that point, my wife and I agreed that we'd be moving to Florida when she graduated. Fast forward again to now - my wife raised concerns about her parents getting old and us being the only family around. Ugh. Dammit. So, I say ok, but if I'm stuck here awhile longer I want to move into a new house and build a big-ass aquarium. We're planning on buying a new house in Jan/February, and I get to start making purchases and plans now for hundreds of gallons of awesomeness. Yeah, compromise.

Wow, consolidating 15 years into a paragraph really makes it sound much more dramatic than it was. It really wasn't that dramatic. Except the part about me not wanting to live in Nebraska literally since setting foot here. That part was absolutely dramatic. I started smoldering the moment I crossed the border and would literally burst into flames if not for the topical antinebraskamine ointment I put on my skin daily. ;-)

Oh yeah, this is the start of a build thread. I forgot.

The plans:

Marineland 300 gallon Deep Dimension
- I just love the dimensions on this tank. 72"x36"x27"

Red Oak Stand/Canopy
- Originally I was planning an in-wall build for this, but I have since decided I really liked aquariums as a furniture piece, especially in the open-floorplan type houses we're looking at. I'm still planning a "fish room", so the house we buy will be dependent upon whether there is an adequate existing room or space to put a fish room behind the wall that the tank will be housed. The room will house all the equipment that doesn't need to physically be on or above the aquarium. Maybe I'll put a cot under the tank for those nights when the wife kicks me out. ;-)

Lighting
- LED's all the way. Anybody who talks to me knows I love my Radions. However, I have also been looking at RapidLED's dimmable Onyx units as well as their DIY kits. I soldered a lot of LED's when I built my astromech droid, and their DIY aquarium kits appear infinitely easier so this is a toss up. I know we have a number of DIYers who rave about their kits, but wondering if anybody has used their Onyx units?

Flow
- I also love my Vortechs, and will be sticking with them on this build. I'll be purchasing 2 MP60's, and may repurpose one of my existing MP40's in addition.

Controller
- Full on Apex.

Rock
- I think I'm going 100% BRS Pukani on this build. Since I have at least 8 months until the setup will begin, it will give me plenty of time. I will likely get the rock delivered around September to do the shaping and fitting, and start it curing before I even move.

Other stuff
- TBD. I have rough plans in my head for most things, including plumbing in a separate anemone/clown tank - probably a 60 gallon cube. My anemone moving is a constant bothersome thought in the back of my mind, but I can't bring myself to give her up. Sump, return pump, and Skimmer are the biggest unknowns at this point (along with exactly which LED lighting). Thoughts appreciated :)

Total water volume will be in the 400-500 gallon range depending on the size of the sump & if I use a separate refugium.

Like I said, I'm at least 8+ months away from the actual setup, so this thread will take awhile. The first order to be placed will be the tank/stand/canopy this week. I expect it will take a month to get delivered.

Yay!
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26694

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
And it begins :woohoo:

Feel free to let us know what you buy when you buy it, and why :) Looking forward to tagging along on this one!
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26695

• Kona boy
  • Thank you received: 51
It really wasn't that dramatic. Except the part about me not wanting to live in Nebraska literally since setting foot here. That part was absolutely dramatic. I started smoldering the moment I crossed the border and would literally burst into flames if not for the topical antinebraskamine ointment I put on my skin daily.

Wow, lost interest after that... To each his own, I guess. Good luck with the build. though.
Boy, Kona
"A word to the wise is unnecessary. It's the stupid ones that need the help"-Bill Cosby

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26696

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
Kona boy wrote:
Wow, lost interest after that... To each his own, I guess. Good luck with the build. though.

Wow, not quite sure why you took offense to an obvious joke at my own expense, but whatever. I've been here for 15 years, and haven't left yet. Way to derail my excitement. To each his own indeed. Thanks.
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kona boy

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26697

• Kona boy
  • Thank you received: 51
Sorry, I guess I took it wrong and possibly overly sensative. I blame Pelini. :ohmy: :lol:
Boy, Kona
"A word to the wise is unnecessary. It's the stupid ones that need the help"-Bill Cosby

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26698

• Zoomer/Phil
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Kona boy wrote:
Sorry, I guess I took it wrong and possibly overly sensative. I blame Pelini. :ohmy: :lol:

Ha!
New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26701

• Cvcoda
  • Beyond Zoas
  • Thank you received: 18
I'm tagging along for this one. I'm in the same exact boat... Except my build will be a 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Chris

180g mixed reef (in progress)
45g rimless cube

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26705

• ajdavis4022
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 32
Builds are so fun. Half of the joy is in the planning and purchasing. The only dreadful part is paying for it....and waiting.

Can't wait to see how this goes!
29G BioCube Mixed Reef
28G NanoCube Frag Tank
DIY Lights
Man Up- Make it yourself :-)

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26719

• saltyfish
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
Stick with the Radions! Although you will probably need at least six of them for that tank. You have plenty of time to find some deals though. I just got a Radion G3 Pro for $600 instead $750. I too am planning a tank build(in my head) for a new house(that I don't have). My dream is a 1500+ gallon shark tank.

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26720

• saltyfish
  • -Trent
  • Thank you received: 178
wolfie2012 wrote:
Sump, return pump, and Skimmer are the biggest unknowns at this point (along with exactly which LED lighting). Thoughts appreciated :)

Yay!
I would go with a 125-180gal sump if it is going in a separate fish room. As for the return pump, I have a Jebao DC12000 pump coming in the mail. It it's adjustable up to 3170 gallons per hour. I will let you know my thoughts on it once I get it hooked up. For the skimmer, it just really depends on how much you want to spend, but I'm a big fan of the bubble blaster pumps on the Reef Octopus Skimmers

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26724

• tkspaints
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 55
saltyfish wrote:
wolfie2012 wrote:
Sump, return pump, and Skimmer are the biggest unknowns at this point (along with exactly which LED lighting). Thoughts appreciated :)

Yay!
I would go with a 125-180gal sump if it is going in a separate fish room. As for the return pump, I have a Jebao DC12000 pump coming in the mail. It it's adjustable up to 3170 gallons per hour. I will let you know my thoughts on it once I get it hooked up. For the skimmer, it just really depends on how much you want to spend, but I'm a big fan of the bubble blaster pumps on the Reef Octopus Skimmers
Salty I am hooking my DC12000 up tonight we can compare notes.

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26726

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
saltyfish wrote:
Stick with the Radions! Although you will probably need at least six of them for that tank. You have plenty of time to find some deals though. I just got a Radion G3 Pro for $600 instead $750. I too am planning a tank build(in my head) for a new house(that I don't have). My dream is a 1500+ gallon shark tank.

Time is on my side, that's for sure. The longer I take to decide the less likely it is that I will talk myself into just setting this up in my current basement rather than waiting for the new place, so that's a plus maybe.

I have been peeking at rapidled's aurora line, which is pretty much a radion clone. At half the price of radions, I figure it is worth some research. At that price I may just pick up a set to play with and see how it does. Can always find some kind of use for it.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26728

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
saltyfish wrote:

I'm definitely interested in hearing how that pump works out for you.

I'm trying to work out sump ideas in my head. Since it will definitely be in a separate room, I considering something like a large stock-tank sump with a separate, maybe 75 gallon refugium.

I have to admit I am a fan of the Reef Octopus skimmers, I use one for my current system.
Steve

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26729

• ajdavis4022
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 32
I like the idea of plumbing in a huge sump, and plumbing a refugium to that, and THEN plumbing a stock tank to the fuge sounds like a super sweet, albeit difficult, idea. Then you could put a dual gate and T connector on the stock tank, so that if you need to medicate or isolate, you can close the valve to separate it from the main system, and then you can use the 2nd gate to drain it through the T valve when finished so you can dump the medicated water.

You know...this only stirs ideas in my head. It's a good thing that my fish room is too small to expand.
29G BioCube Mixed Reef
28G NanoCube Frag Tank
DIY Lights
Man Up- Make it yourself :-)

Steve's 300g DD build 3 years 6 months ago #26734

• nebraskaaquatic
  • Commercial Member
  • Thank you received: 176
Would definitely go DC return pump. We've installed a few at the store and are slowly transitioning all pumps over to them. I installed one on a 265 and unbelievably quite and super efficient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfie2012
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds