Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Phil's 120 gallon

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16030

• Zoomer/Phil
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • It's about the system first, then the tank.
  • Thank you received: 258
Hello,

I thought I would start my first build thread :) I am setting up a 120, my equipment list is pretty much set, but I thought I would share the progress for the fun of it - please still feel free to offer your opinion of what I have done wrong, or could do better or differently - or even what you like ;)

Below is a portion of my running Excel spread sheet, my apologies if it does not seem well formated.

120 CornerFlow
Reef Octopus Diablo 6 Inch 200 XS Space Saver (200 Gallon) In Sump
75 GPD 6-Stage Deluxe RO/DI Chloramines System
Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY 5000 Circulating Pump
29 Gallon sump
Brute cart base (2)
16 Gallon fuge
16 Gallon top off tank
Rubbermaid Brute (2)
Bulk Reef Supply filter sock
'Mr. Dj PSC200 8 Channel Power Strip
20 Amp GFCI
LiveReef Ruble/Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
MaxiJet 900utility pump
Hydor Evolution 1050 (4)
1/4" Screen & Parts
Coralife Gripper 28"
Marineland Double Bright LED for fuge
PhosBan 150
True Tem Titanium Heating System Kit 500 watt
JBJ A.T.O.
Radion LED (2)

About the only things I don't have fully purchased yet is the Radions, ATO, heater, and reactor.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

My intention is to have a seperate smalls pump feed my media reactor and fuge seperate from my return pump. I think I like the idea of plumbing my fuge the way I did as it will offer low flow at decent water capacity for the over all size of the system.

Thanks,
Phil

This message has attachments images.

New Age Reefs - A community for reef aquarium hobbyists

-40 gallon LPS, and 45 gallon SPS system
-My old 120 build
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16031

• Zoomer/Phil
In regards to stocking, here is what I know so far.

I plan on getting Yellow Eye Kole Tand, a Bluespot, and a Black cap Jawfish. Thus far I also imagine a pair of Percs, Melonaris Wrasse, and a small harem of Yellow Coris Wrasses - but that is just the plan. I know there are other fish out there, I do know that I would rather have many smaller fish than a few medium sized ones. I like the idea of diversity. I have been running a Biocube for the last year and a half and have become fond of smaller fish (plus I realize my tank is not huge), so I would rather see different types of fish doing their natural thing at various levels of the tank.

Regarding corals... I am excited about finally being able to keep Acros and Birdsnest, but at the same time I am quite fond of LPS.

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16032

• knucklehead1976
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 18
Very nice , well planned out. Post pics as your build continues. I have a 120 tall in wall

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16033

• aaronnohren
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 9
Smallish return chamber, but if you're running an ATO then you should be okay.
On that same note. I don't want to knock JBJ, but I think you should consider paying a little more for a Tunze or Elos digital top-off. IMO, the heat sensor is a more reliable option than a couple float switches.

I also recommend getting another small heater for back-up. This doesn't have to be anything fancy, but is a nice fail safe.

I personally own two BRS deluxe reactors and love them. Again, not a knock, but BRS reactors are heavy duty, well crafted equipment and come with get customer support.

As a Radion user myself am I happy to see that someone else on this forum is going to try them. I have not heard of anyone else on this forum that uses one over their tank. It works great for me. Plug and play, great spread, nice color rendition. The software is a pain for compatibility, but oh well. One of the nice features of these lights is the ability to "talk" to the Vortech pumps. I know the debate between Vortech and Tunze is relentless, but I think Ecotech puts out a great product with their Vortech line and is only going to validate the purchase of your Radions even further. Unfortunately I don't see Vortechs on the list. The dollar signs keep adding up. :)

As an overall comment, I find it ironic that you're willing to spend top dollar on lights, but, in relation, are skimping on the powerheads. Why? I know everyone has a budget. I have one also. But, you can find deals on RC for used Vortechs and Tunzes every single day. The minute you buy four brand new Koralias you're going to want to upgrade. If you want to save money, ask around on the forum for used powerheads while you save up some cash I know a few people on this site that probably have a couple lying around. I'm sure this last paragraph comes off extremely contentious, but if I have learned one thing in this hobby, is that you get what you pay for. In the end, there is a chance that you'll spend more money in the long run.
40 Gallon Mixed Reef, 20L Sump, Ecotech Radion, SRO XP1000 SSS, Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES, Neptune Apex

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16034

• alanmorehead
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 27
Zoomer wrote:
120 CornerFlow
Corner overflows are great. You will like having those compared to the Aqueons that sit further in.
What size are the drain/return holes on that overflow?
Zoomer wrote:
A good pump. I like my HY 7000. A 5000 on this system should be plenty. You might consider feeding your other equipment off this.
Zoomer wrote:
16 Gallon fuge
Also might consider running this overflow into the far side of the sump. That way your bubbles get a chance to go through the bubble trap. With the distance you have from your DT drain to the return pump (plus the bubble trap), that part should be good. However, if your fuge flow is anything significant then it could drop bubbles directly into your return chamber. You could always run it as is and see if you get bubbles, but that might be something to look at in case you do see bubbles in the DT.

Zoomer wrote:
16 Gallon top off tank
Where will this be stored? If it's above your sump, you could just do a gravity fed float valve.

Zoomer wrote:
Radion LED (2)
Are you looking for certain features with your lighting? If you are looking to keep acros and other higher light corals, two Radion LED units doesn't seem like it would be enough over a 120g.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16035

• Andy Roker
  • Be thankful for tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 82
I agree with the ato I love my tunze ato and the newer you can remove the cover and turn your pump up our down and I like the safety out it with the two floats and alarm I loved my tunze power head but the hydoras I like also and the only thing that has broke is the impeller and the front cover but the customer support was great no questions asked and they sent me new ones right away and they always send extra
180 reef mostly lps

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16037

• Zoomer/Phil
aaronnohren wrote:
I don't want to knock JBJ, but I think you should consider paying a little more for a Tunze or Elos digital top-off. IMO, the heat sensor is a more reliable option than a couple float switches.

I also recommend getting another small heater for back-up. This doesn't have to be anything fancy, but is a nice fail safe.

As an overall comment, I find it ironic that you're willing to spend top dollar on lights, but, in relation, are skimping on the powerheads. Why? I know everyone has a budget. I have one also. But, you can find deals on RC for used Vortechs and Tunzes every single day. The minute you buy four brand new Koralias you're going to want to upgrade. If you want to save money, ask around on the forum for used powerheads while you save up some cash I know a few people on this site that probably have a couple lying around. I'm sure this last paragraph comes off extremely contentious, but if I have learned one thing in this hobby, is that you get what you pay for. In the end, there is a chance that you'll spend more money in the long run.

That is all good advice. Budget is indeed what is causing me to cut corners on the high end items. I already own a Koralia wave maker (the device that switches pumps on/off on a set schedule). For the time being 4 Koralias (2 running at a time) will still cost me less than one Tunze or Vortech power heads. That being said the ATO cost is also driving that decision.

I do not at all feel as though you are being contentious, it is all good logic, I am just adapting to my circumstances :) I am sure between 6-18 months I will end up making these changes, hopefully the reasoning behind the changes is not a severe one. :unsure:

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16038

• Zoomer/Phil
alanmorehead wrote:
Zoomer wrote:
120 CornerFlow
Corner overflows are great. You will like having those compared to the Aqueons that sit further in.
What size are the drain/return holes on that overflow?

Both are 1"
Zoomer wrote:
A good pump. I like my HY 7000. A 5000 on this system should be plenty. You might consider feeding your other equipment off this.
Zoomer wrote:
16 Gallon fuge
Also might consider running this overflow into the far side of the sump. That way your bubbles get a chance to go through the bubble trap. With the distance you have from your DT drain to the return pump (plus the bubble trap), that part should be good. However, if your fuge flow is anything significant then it could drop bubbles directly into your return chamber. You could always run it as is and see if you get bubbles, but that might be something to look at in case you do see bubbles in the DT.

That is easy enough to do, I will probably end up playing around with that during my cycle.

Zoomer wrote:
16 Gallon top off tank
Where will this be stored? If it's above your sump, you could just do a gravity fed float valve.

The top-off tank will be in the laundry room directly behind the wall... I am definetly going to need to consider that :)
Zoomer wrote:
Radion LED (2)
Are you looking for certain features with your lighting? If you are looking to keep acros and other higher light corals, two Radion LED units doesn't seem like it would be enough over a 120g.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature

I do realize 2 may not be enough, if I need a third hopefully prices will have fallen by then... If they have not fallen by then, well I will buy a 3'rd anyway.

Alan here is my question to you, it is probably a simple one, how did you split the quote up? Are you able to just type in the middle of it? Thanks -- Phil

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16039

• Zoomer/Phil
LOL - as you can see from my injected responses to Alan's previous post I haven't quite figured that out...

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16040

• Zoomer/Phil
knucklehead1976 wrote:
Very nice , well planned out. Post pics as your build continues. I have a 120 tall in wall

Thank you - will do :)

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16044

• Zoomer/Phil
I thought I would throw in a pic of my BC29, it feels great to be getting a bigger tank :)

This message has an attachment image.

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16045

• Andy Roker
  • Be thankful for tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 82
Yea I bet it looks like you needed it ha ha
180 reef mostly lps

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16048

• aaronnohren
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 9
Ha. You are getting a little tight on space there.
40 Gallon Mixed Reef, 20L Sump, Ecotech Radion, SRO XP1000 SSS, Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES, Neptune Apex

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16049

• Zoomer/Phil
aaronnohren wrote:
Ha. You are getting a little tight on space there.

A little :P I would have about 20% more if it was not for that torch coral I have growing in there - I have had it for a year and it has doubled in size and grown another head. I will be nice to transfer this stuff in a few months :)

Of course all of the "Have to have" small frags I bought with intent of putting in a larger system will seem too small. That is one thing I am quit conscious of is not having a large(r) tank that looks like an LFS coral trough. So I will have to exercise/learn more patience and let things grow, or swap, trade, and sell eventually...

-My old 120 build

Phil's 120 gallon 5 years 2 months ago #16103

• alanmorehead
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 27
Zoomer wrote:
Alan here is my question to you, it is probably a simple one, how did you split the quote up? Are you able to just type in the middle of it? Thanks -- Phil
Just wrap the comment with the quote tag. I usually just click quote on the reply and then delete out all the other text in the quotes
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds