Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Apex Users!

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 5 months ago #4716

• BLyPhoto
  • Cycling
I have to admit the Vortechs are nice...but i guessed i can't justify the price of them.
Skipper- the Sicce Voyagers are very intriguing to me at this point. and i can plug them directly in to the variable port on the Apex controller? no further expansion module needed?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 5 months ago #4717

• PMatthews
  • Beyond Zoas
  • Thank you received: 11
BLyPhoto wrote:
I have to admit the Vortechs are nice...but i guessed i can't justify the price of them.
Skipper- the Sicce Voyagers are very intriguing to me at this point. and i can plug them directly in to the variable port on the Apex controller? no further expansion module needed?

These are not variable speed pumps. You could create alternating currents by switching them on and off but could not vary the gph output. To my knowledge, the ports on the apex only work with tunze stream pumps.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 5 months ago #4718

• fridaynightswings
  • Beyond nothing, always learning more!
  • Algae Farmer
  • Thank you received: 48
and just to clarify, the variable speed ports aren't specific outlets, they are 2 ethernet plugs that go to the pump/light itself. You have 4 variable speed ports, but only 2 connection points, so 1 & 2 are on one port, and 3 & 4 are on the other.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 5 months ago #4733

• BwX8_Skipperv15
BLyPhoto wrote:
Sorry about that, I didn't know the Apex uses a special hook up for a variable speed pump. From everything I have seen the sicce pumps will work great for an "on/off" type flow though.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 3 months ago #6171

• IAreefer
  • Beyond cycling
  • Thank you received: 5
Im starting to work on my latest Apex project. Automatic water changes..... :woohoo:

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 3 months ago #6174

• fridaynightswings
  • Algae Farmer
best of luck. I tried for a couple months programming, with 2 float switches, with one float switch, etc. I think it might be easier to do with a sumped system, but I had no luck sinec mine is a biocube. My water change process is pretty easy still. I just use my phone to crontrol the pumps. I have 2 outlets that I designate as my pump out and pump in, and now use no float switches. I just place my pump out (maxijet 1200) in the DT and the bottom of the pump about where I want to drain the water down to, and the hose is connected to a drain. Pump the water out, and shut it off before it gets to the bottom of the maxijet to prevent the pump from running dry. The syphon will take care of the rest. From there, i wheel over my trash can with my fresh salt mix, and pump that water in until I reach my desired water level. Seems to work well. The only water I spill now is from pulling the pump out of the tank. Just a few drops compared to a bunch more from how I used to do them. I also have a virtual outlet that turns off my heater, chiller (little shop fan), ATO, return pump, and power heads. that way I dont run pumps dry, or my heater isnt staying on heating up a small portion of water, or my ATO going nuts and dumping water back into the tank since the float switch is low.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 3 months ago #6176

• PMatthews
  • Beyond Zoas
Im excited to see your progress on this. I want to do the same as soon as I get my new build up and running!

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 3 months ago #6179

• BwX8_Skipperv15
IAreefer wrote:
Im starting to work on my latest Apex project. Automatic water changes..... :woohoo:

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it! I still have a Reefkeeper 2 so for now something like that just isn't in the cards, but I'm hoping to upgrade with in the year.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 2 weeks ago #9033

• fridaynightswings
  • Algae Farmer
Fallback OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
Min Time 015:00 Then OFF
If Outlet Water_Change = ON Then OFF

My autotopoff script. Basically it says that the float switch has to be down for at least 15 minutes before it kicks the pump on to pump water back in. This is to prevent the pump turning on and off all the time with the water level is fluctuating. from ripples or something.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 2 weeks ago #9036

• Patmack
  • Beyond frags
  • Thank you received: 7
The way I read your program it has the min run time of your top off pump to be 15 min

I use the Defer statement.
Defer 001:00 Then ON
If Switch5 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then OFF

The float has to be down for 1 min then once my sump is full it runs for another min.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 2 weeks ago #9039

• fridaynightswings
  • Algae Farmer
Are you saying it pumps water in for 15 minutes? I tested it, and I changed the MIN time to like 5 seconds, and it waits for 5 seconds then pumps it in until the switch is up. Defer and Min time are very similar. If I were to be pumping water in for 15 minutes, it would put in about 2 cups shy of a gallon of water.

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 6 days ago #9198

• PMatthews
  • Beyond Zoas
So I finally get a day to work on this! So how would I program this task.

A couple of variables... I am using a mag 24 to pump water upstairs. This is way to big of a pump for ato but its what I had. I need to limit the time if the float fails at 5 seconds because it pumps at about 400gph and can fill up really quickly. I am using water from a secondary tank now that I limit to 5 gals at any given time so I am not worried about a flood.

How would I run a max run time program and IF the pump has to shut off after 5 sec, not to turn pump back on for say 10 hours so I can get home from work and check on it?

Here is what I am using now.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF
Min Time 000:03 Then OFF

How can I change this to make it work how I want?

Re: Apex Users! 7 years 6 days ago #9200

• fridaynightswings
  • Algae Farmer
When I was testing, the best way is to use a lamp or fan or something small that plugs in and you can see it on. Then manually actuate the float switches. Start with short times like 4 seconds or something, and then if the light (simulating your top off pump) does what you want, when you want it to, then just extend your time to the desired amount. Does that make sense? I know I didn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps get you in the right direction.

This was what I had to do to comprehend min time and defer.
Last Edit: 7 years 6 days ago by fridaynightswings.

Apex Controller opinions 4 years 7 months ago #24639

• Juice
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 64
I didn't want to start a new thread since this one was already a "sticky". I'm thinking about getting a Apex controller soon, I love the being able to control stuff from your phone app, so I wanted opinions.
What do you like about the controller? What don't you like about it? What do you use it for? Did you find a good deal on it and where did you get it?
Just overall opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

Apex Controller opinions 4 years 7 months ago #24645

• wolfie2012
  • Admin
  • Midwest Marine Aquarium Society President
  • Thank you received: 165
Juice wrote:
I didn't want to start a new thread since this one was already a "sticky". I'm thinking about getting a Apex controller soon, I love the being able to control stuff from your phone app, so I wanted opinions.
What do you like about the controller? What don't you like about it? What do you use it for? Did you find a good deal on it and where did you get it?
Just overall opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

I knew I saw that glimmer in your eye when I showed you the apex phone app at the swap. ;-)

I love it.

What I use it for most:
Passive: monitoring probes(ph, temp,salinity(conductivity), water-on-the-floor sensors, alarm notification, auto shutoff in response to alarms, ATO, sumplight night/day, graph trending, heater control, 2-part dosing
Active: remote monitoring on my phone or web, turn on/off sump light manually when needed, turn on/off ATO/skimmer/pumps during water changes/cleaning

What I don't like:
Probe friendly name length. Couldn't spell out "Salinity", had to use "Salinty". Latest firmware update yesterday and I lost another letter, so now it's "Salnty". Small pet peeve, I know, but hey a lot of us can be ocd sometimes.
Firmware updates only successful via hardline, not wireless, and even then haven't always had the easiest of times. Being a software development genius makes that part hard on the ego. ;-) Although the update I did yesterday went pretty smoothly, so they're getting better.

Highly recommend it to everybody. I got mine through BulkReefSupply I think. I bought the Apex Jr. since it accomplished all my needs at a lower initial cost without sacrificing functionality in the long run.
Steve

Join the club! www.midwestmarine.org
Stressing education, community, and sustainable practices.
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds